Still looking for speakers in the 10-20,000 range

I’ve heard Proacs, Personas 3 and 5, Ryans, Wilsons, Wilson Benesch, Monitor Audios, B and Ws and several others in the 10-$20,000 range.  My favorite so far is the KEF Reference 3.  I would consider the Reference 5 but, as I’ve posted before, there is no place to hear them within 400 miles. Still plan to hear the Focal 2 and 3. Unless I love the Focals, I'm inclined to either go with the KEF Reference 3 or wait a couple of months (or more) to check out the new Magico A3.  My room is 24x18.  I have Audio Research electronics and 20 plus year old Proac Response 3.5 speakers.  It’s been a long process and I’m not sure if I’ll be relieved or disappointed when it ends.  Hard to decide if the Magico’s are worth waiting for.  Thoughts?
fast

Showing 3 responses by bondmanp

Not sure what fast's priorities are with a speaker, but the Vandersteens are an excellent suggestion.  In your price range, I would also look into a pair of German Physiks (the entry level floorstander is ~$16-18K).  Personally, of all the speakers I have heard (many, but certainly not all) in this price range, those are what I would buy.  They have everything that I seek:  A huge 3-D soundstage, smooth yet detailed treble, wonderful tangiability and timbre, finely gradiated dynamics, an "in the room with you" presentation, good bass (but I would add subs), and they completely dissappear into the soundstage.

If you are serious about the KEFs, I recommend two things:  First make sure you like the tweeter's presentation.  Some people, lilke me, find the KEF treble a bit too "in your face".  Second, push the dealer for a professional setup.  IME, KEFs really need good setup to realize their full potential, moreso than many other brands.

@bassdude - +1 on the Aeris.  I have heard them three times.  The first two were magical.  The last was disasterous.  The guy demonstating them is known to have pretty poor setup abilities, so I wasn't too concerned.  While the Aeris/Wavelet combo will exceed your budget a bit, I think it's worth stretching.  See if you can work with a dealer for at least a modest discount (or maybe a trade-in).  With the exception of the German Physiks, the Aeris is what I would buy in this range.  And they look really cool.
@johnnyb53 - Excellent idea.  I have heard them, at a show, and they were extremely impressive.  You need high cielings and some space around them to breathe, but the Carver Amazing Line Source is one of those rare speakers that just seems to do everything right.