Stereo or monoblocks

I recently bought a pair of the JBL HDI-3800 speakers. I also own a McIntosh C-2300 preamp. Should I buy a used McIntosh mc402 stereo power amp or try to find a pair of a different brands monoblocks? The new Schiit Tyr has my interest.

128x128thbullard3

I started out with the Mc462 and then went with the C2700 pre and 611 mono blocks. Will never go back. Yes it is expensive but when the boss says it is ok, you do what the boss says...!

@chocaholic I know the increased wpc had everything to do with why my music sounds better on my system.  The mono blocks in my case provided greater wpc.  To your point, I have seen mono blocks that have quite low wpc, but I think that is the exception.  

I am a mono block fan... I have my reasons but I love the visual of the two units and mental framework of two channels being separately amplified.

As for the 402... Looks impressive, maybe over powered... Not that you could have to much power, but certainly the 3800 could do with less.

I am completely amazed with my Schiit Aegir mono-blocks. I'm powering KefLS50 Meta's and have been just enamored with them and the sound.

The 3800 at 92db and 4ohm, LS50's I run are 85db and 8ohm and believe it or not the Aegir do a great job powering them in mono (I was nervous and considering the Vidar mono's). With the Aegir's I'm filling my entire 1500sq/ft workshop/garage with tons of rich and highly detailed sound (+subwoofer).

Give them a try... You could be very impressed and save a few bucks.

I would love to have a set of mono blocks if I had the room and the means to purchase.  I have an all PS Audio system with a BHK250 driving a set of Focal Sopra's so I would love to plop a set of BHK600's or maybe the 300's down near them but the price of admission is way out of my league for now, so I will just have to be happy with the 250 for some time to come.