Starting a second system, need efficient speaker suggestions.

Just picked up a Cary SLI80 HS and need some speakers.

The amp is 80 watts or 40 watts triode. Reviews say triode sounds best. Room is 12x26x7 dedicated listening room in the basement.

I have a couple subs, so if they don't have the deepest bass, I can live with that. 

Budget around 4k.

traudio

https://audio-connexion.com/products/odeon-scala-series-floorstanding-speakers-makassar-demo

These are super easy to drive no problem with 10wpc and yes you will most likely  enjoy triod the best. With these speakers you will have the feeling that Elvis is in the building! Enjoy what ever you choose.  

@elliottbnewcombjr 

very efficient 98db

temporary while looking for a great deal?

buy, move to second system later or sell or give to a friend

Pioneer CS-705 near you

I just happened upon this thread, your speaker recommendations are ALL over the map. Have you heard this amp with these speakers you recommend or are you just tossing random speakers about?

@traudio 

OP, you are fortunate to be able to attend Axpona. There you will find plenty of opprtunities to listen to compatible speakers although the crowds will dictate whether the interactions are meaningful. Drop by Devore and Audio Note…you aldo didnt mention your budget but if you are looking at the Razz, both of these companies offer fine speakers in that range. Best wishes with the search.

ghasley

Yes all over the place; Yes, never heard most of the FINDs to consider, i.e. be aware of.

I believe you can get more of nearly anything by carefully buying used rather than new.

When I or a friend is looking, or just having fun hopping about: I check eBay and hifishark daily for ’new first’ in categories, IOW, beat others to a great deal when recognized.

I have fun finding interesting things I never knew existed, showing them to both OP and others following along. They have to do their own research of anything that interests them, including asking members here who might have owned/listened to them.

The only speakers I have owned and recommended, the best used choice IMO, are the JSE Infinite Slope Model 2’s. You would need to spend a heck of a lot of money to equal/beat their sound. New Veneer, they would look gorgeous to my eyes.

I take the long view, patience is required, thus time is required.

OP’s budget is $4k.

GET LISTENING NOW, find something great, in budget, later is a concept I believe in, most here would not consider.

The 98db $400. speakers are a great ’get listening now’ choice. I don’t know if OP or anyone following along has a 2nd system, might create a second system, might give something to a friend or relative, might re-sell, just give it away: just GET LISTENING NOW!

Spend $400. get listening, find a great deal (more than $400 less than other offers, close for pick-up, perhaps save $500. shipping. In the end, patience, the temporary item costs zero or actually saves money, do what you want with it/them.

btw: OP has not stated he prefers new to used, except by inference.

traudio,

If you are at Axpona, check out the Clayton Shaw Caladans (if clayton is exhibiting. I have them for about a month. $3,400 delivered....and if he's there you can demo them