Started with $1k speakers … what now?

I got into this hobby during Covid, browsing YouTube reviews my first speakers were Polk L100s and Sonus Faber Lumina 1s. Not bad as an entry point, but wondering what would be the next level is where a speaker is built with fewer compromises in the drivers and crossover design.  My hope was that in the $5k range truer “hifi” entry points may be found in a small room system with a REL t5x. My source and amplification is already in the $5k range. 

I visited a hifi store recently but was overwhelmed by the amount of choice and unsure what would be an upgrade based on first listening impressions alone. 

Thanks in advance for any insights.

jdavis234
@hilde45 @balooo2 Thank you for sharing your review on Fritz. It’s a great review, and kudos to Dave. I carefully examined the AR series crossover used in the Carbon 7 SE Mk2. Now, I can better understand what Nemo means by ’less bass quantity,’ attributed to the design of the capless and serial connection of the resistor crossover. Because a portion of the current runs through the resistor instead of the woofer, the low ends are not as efficient, and the resistor tends to run hot. Additionally, the capless design puts more stress on the tweeter. While both Nemo and Dave mentioned that the bass from the Carbon is tight and agile, focusing more on quality than quantity, some users have commented that the bass may not sound as dynamic. I’m not an expert on crossover design, but it seems there’s no free lunch after all.
While I believe the components utilized in the de minimis, capless design crossover are of high quality, consisting of only three parts (1 resistor and 2 inductors) and given that the design is open source, I find myself questioning why the overall price remains relatively high (forgive me for saying that). Perhaps I should not be misled by the unassuming appearance of Fritz and refrain from passing premature judgments on the cost.

@lanx0003 : While both Nemo and Dave mentioned that the bass from the Carbon is tight and agile, focusing more on quality than quantity, some users have commented that the bass may not sound as dynamic. I’m not an expert on crossover design, but it seems there’s no free lunch after all.

I think this is an accurate comment. These are stand mounts that have made a conscious decision to have good bass with excellent midrange and highs that are clear without being super precise. These will lend themselves more to some kinds of music better than others -- there's no free lunch and this is not a "does everything speaker."

I find myself questioning why the overall price remains relatively high (forgive me for saying that). Perhaps I should not be misled by the unassuming appearance of Fritz and refrain from passing premature judgments on the cost.

I think there may be a couple of reasons for this:

1. Boutique, handmade product with home trial means a bit more $$. Then again, one is getting a better speaker than, say, a more mass produced speaker. E.g. the Dynaudio Special 40 lists at $3600, so the Carbon 7's really blow that out of the water.

2. The price may be more negotiable than, say, dealing with a store (not sure). Perhaps Fritz is leaving himself some room.

All that said, I suspect the speaker might sell better at a somewhat lower price-point, but I am not sure if Fritz sells enough of this to take that risk.

@lanx0003 Your points are well taken however I’ve yet to come across the perfect audio componet in everyone’s eyes. I would ask you this...Can you recommend a speaker that cost less the the Carbon 7’s (new) that has superior componets, better build and a generous in home no questions asked trial as opposed to the carbon 7’s? The only reason folks are capable of picking apart the question of Fritz speakers value propostion is because he is completely transparent about exactly what is inside the box.To me its like going to a fine resturant looking at your menu choice and evaluating the cost of the ingredients that went into the meal with no other consideration. I feel completely comfortable stating 90% of the people reading this do not have a clue what crossover etc.componets are inside the speakers they own nor do they really care, either it sounds good in their system or it does not period. I’ve been shopping for a quite some time and Fritz has been simply at the top of my shortlist based on lots of feedback. When you personally communicate with several people who lived with a product give it a thumbs up without reserve what more do you want? I am not being facetios. I’m participating on this thread because I too am seeking a better pair of speakers for my system like the OP. Either they’ll work for me or they won’t. If you are aware of a superior product that is not diy for the same or lower cost (new) please share your find .

Thanks!

@audioguy85 I don't believe you stated what amplification you use. You mentioned a small room, what is LXWxH? 

Would make a difference when choosing between Pulsars or Carbon7s.