Started with $1k speakers … what now?

I got into this hobby during Covid, browsing YouTube reviews my first speakers were Polk L100s and Sonus Faber Lumina 1s. Not bad as an entry point, but wondering what would be the next level is where a speaker is built with fewer compromises in the drivers and crossover design.  My hope was that in the $5k range truer “hifi” entry points may be found in a small room system with a REL t5x. My source and amplification is already in the $5k range. 

I visited a hifi store recently but was overwhelmed by the amount of choice and unsure what would be an upgrade based on first listening impressions alone. 

Thanks in advance for any insights.

jdavis234

Showing 1 response by deep_333

@deep_333  , just to clarify (but not to start an argument) you are saying that if OP wants a significent sonic improvement over is current 1k speakers, he will have to spend more than 5k?

@immatthewj , Yes, as of 2023/ 2024, guys like Andrew Jones, Danny Ritchie, etc have offered such insanely great sound at around the 1k price bracket that it takes a whole lot more of an exponential increase in price to beat such things (obtain a significant enough jump). 15, 20 years ago...yeah you got something worthwhile at 5k if you had something going on at 1k.