Stack Audio-SmoothLAN Network Filter- WOW!

I just received this item that I purchased from Stack Audio after being impressed with the AUVA 100 Speaker footers.

For any of the Audio Streamers out there, my initial comment as to this item: The SmoothLAN Network Filter is WOW!

From first plug in, the soundstage deepened and widened immensely. How the heck this occurs is nothing short of amazing. I have tried many of the major brand ethernet filters, and some of them, maybe, did something. But not enough to keep them. I either sent them back or sold them. I did however keep an iFi Silencer unit.

My digital streaming consists of an EtherRegen sending out the signal via Fiber to my Lumin X1. I have the Stack Audio device going into the EtherRegen from the Modem.

And, since I have my Apple TV coming out of the EtherRegen it will be interesting to see if the Video improves.

Check out the review in EAR.

Stack Audio Smooth-LAN For Clean Streaming | The Ear (the-ear.net)

ozzy

128x128ozzy

With the improved sound quality results the SmoothLan gave on my main audio system, I added a SmoothLan to my Home Theatre System which is also used as a second audio system. I installed it between my second Fiber Media Converter and my streamer/DAC and like the first one it provides an excellent SQ improvement. Great affordable tweak that really gives a nice bump on my modest system.

@jimboman 

Sorry for the late reply. The thread that @bill_k mentioned is the correct one. It is a good one but it can be confusing as there are conflicting information sometimes. There is also a spin off thread on the same site about DACs (not D/A converters but Direct Attached Cable) which is related on the same subject but I would recommend one step at a time... If you need any advice let me know ( I am by means an expert, I just got some basic knowledge with SFPs).

Thanks @greg_f  I really appreciate the info and support.

The CA thread is a good resource, although probably more technical than I need.  My goal is to try a better SFP module to see if it will improve the fibre feed to my Lumin U2.  I'd read that Finisar modules were recommended by many on this site.

I'll reach out to Cisco to see if I can get the specs for my Catalyst 2960 switch, and see what modules might be compatible -- and which might offer a SQ improvement.

Many thanks,

JAMES.

@jimboman James, yes the Finisar modules seem to be one of the most popular. Get LC modules perhaps something like FTLF1318P3BTL or if you like to try AOC (Active Optical Cable) then the Cisco SFP-10G-AOC5M or similar, but please do check compatibility at both ends.

@jimboman

I have bought two of this cable ( LuminX1 and Lumin L2) with ´´ APC Optical Fiber edition ´´ Still waiting for the delivery

In replacement of ´´Melco C1-D20 SFP+ Direct Attach Cable ´´

https://www.adark.co/collections/project-constellation-fiber/products/copy-of-afterdark-project-clayx-constellation-sfp-module-for-audiophile?variant=39631937994870