Stack Audio-SmoothLAN Network Filter- WOW!

I just received this item that I purchased from Stack Audio after being impressed with the AUVA 100 Speaker footers.

For any of the Audio Streamers out there, my initial comment as to this item: The SmoothLAN Network Filter is WOW!

From first plug in, the soundstage deepened and widened immensely. How the heck this occurs is nothing short of amazing. I have tried many of the major brand ethernet filters, and some of them, maybe, did something. But not enough to keep them. I either sent them back or sold them. I did however keep an iFi Silencer unit.

My digital streaming consists of an EtherRegen sending out the signal via Fiber to my Lumin X1. I have the Stack Audio device going into the EtherRegen from the Modem.

And, since I have my Apple TV coming out of the EtherRegen it will be interesting to see if the Video improves.

Check out the review in EAR.

Stack Audio Smooth-LAN For Clean Streaming | The Ear (the-ear.net)

ozzy

128x128ozzy

Hey @ozzy

My SmoothLAN arrived and I did a first listening session.

My quick impressions: more punch, better instrument separation, and increased feeling that the music is outside the speakers.  In particular, pianos seem to have more 'weight', like going from a baby grand, to a 9' grand piano.  Same for drums.  Vocals are generally cleaner, more articulate.

The interesting thing is, the SL doesn't seem to hype/tilt the frequency response of my system; it neither adds/subtracts/shifts the balance...it just seems to make the music feel more 'full'.  More 'in the room'.  Very enjoyable.

I'm waiting for a second ethernet switch, so I can separate my computer network from my audio rig, and once that's in place, I'll give the SL a run-in period.

Looking forward to more listening.  The SmoothLAN is definitely a solid improvement to my enjoyment of my system.  Again, many thanks!

Best, JAMES.

I am waiting on my second filter.  The one nice thing about this filter is that it does not favor any part of the frequency spectrum.  Really a noticeable impact on adding space, tonal density and impact.

jimboman, jaymark,

Congratulations! Pretty good add on device for not too much crazy money!

I am really interested in your take once you insert the 2nd one into your system.

ozzy

Just a quick question. My SmoothLan will be delivery in the next day or so.

Where in your signal path do you have the SmoothLan? Before or after your switcher? 

I apologise if this question has already been asked.