Spendor vs. Von Schweikert?

I'm the very happy owner of a pair of Spendor S100's. I bought them new 15 yrs ago. My system's evolved over the yrs from transistor to all-tube and thru it all the Spendor's always sounded rich and musical, very satisfying to my ears. I think that the tweeters may be showing their age (or maybe it's my ears!;) but I've been contemplating a change. I've read so much about the VR4Jr's, I need to audition them somehow, but thought I'd throw the question out there. Anybody familiar with the sound of both these lines? How do they compare?
128x128chazro

Showing 5 responses by robm321

It's up to you, but I have the VR4jr and would not consider another speaker until I can afford the DB99s. In other words, I've heard most of the speakers that are in the price range and nothing compared to the VS. Do a search for reviews. Pretty much stunning across the board.
Grakesh,

Were the speakers broken in? set up properly, rear ambiance turned to the proper level, etc? Either you have some strange taste or something was wrong with the set up. No offense if you just don't like the sound, smooth, fast, and transparent with a very 3D soundstage, etc.

I listen to classical, jazz, rock, blues. That's one of the best things about VS speakers is that they are good across the board since they don't add anything to the sound.
Grakesh,

You're right they sound bad. We're all nuts including the reviewers. I guess the jig is up ;)
Grakesh,

It's very hard to argue with different tastes.

"What is the point in accurate musical re-creation when the listener can not be emotionally involved in the music he is listenng to. Again, this is very personal opinion and can change from individual to individual"

You probably prefer some coloration to help make it musical for you. I don't. I guess it's different taste. I use a very modest tube amp with my VS's and it is as smooth and emotional as I could imagine for the money spent and for my preferences.
Grakesh,

All speakers have coloration. Some more some less. I've stated which I prefer.