Spendor SP 100/R2 and Harbeth 40.1 - impressions?

Where I am, it's difficult to audition these two flagship speakers side-by-side or at home, so opinions/impressions from anyone would be most welcome.

Feedback on other forums is that the Harbeth may be marginally the "better'' speaker, but I'm not convinced.

Matching amps would likely be from MBL.

Thanks in advance
classact

Showing 1 response by larryi

I personally like the big Spendor speaker, although I have not heard it in direct comparison with the Harbeth. The primary concern with the SP100 is whether the bass response will overwhelm a room. I've heard it sound a bit upper-bass heavy in several rooms that were not small rooms at all.

I tend to prefer the classic Spendor line over the Harbeth line because I don't like the upper midrange emphasis of most Harbeth speakers. I don't mind the forward projection of the image that this creates; but, the slight burr or artificial edge this gives to the initial attack of instruments and voices is something that bothers me a little. Still, this is an issue of slight preference, the Harbeth's, particularly the 40.1, are very nice sounding speakers.