Speakers 10 years old or older that can compete with todays best,

I attend High End Audio Shows whenever I get a chance.  I also regularly visit several of my local High End Audio parlors, so I get to hear quite a few different speaker brands all the time.  And these speakers are also at various price points. Of course, the new speakers with their current technology sound totally incredible. However, I strongly feel that my beloved Revel Salon 2 speakers, which have been around for over ten years, still sound just as good or even better than the vast majority of the newer speakers that I get a chance to hear or audition in todays market.  And that goes for speakers at, or well above the Salon 2s price point. I feel that my Revel Salon 2 speakers (especially for the money) are so incredibly outstanding compared to the current speaker offerings of today, that I will probably never part with them. Are there others who feel that your beloved older speakers compare favorably with todays, newfangled, shinny-penny, obscenely expensive models?

kennymacc

I do not think anyone has mentioned the Rogers LS3 5A, the little speaker that could. If you have never heard these with properly integrated subwoofers you have no idea what you are missing. We had these set up next to a huge pair of Dunlavys. People routinely would think it was the Dunlavys playing! 

@patrickdowns @phusis 

And that sirs is the trap. What a system and room looks like and what it sounds like are two entirely different issues. I have heard really tricked out systems/rooms sound like crap. This is not to say Mike's room does not sound good but he does stubbornly refuse to make it sound better over the romantic concept that he has to keep everything analog. It is interesting to see the contrast between Mike and myself, also a Mike. We are polar opposites in so many ways. I am line source Dipole, Mike is Big point source. Mike will spend huge money, I will approach it from a value perspective. Mike has everything on display. I have as much as possible hidden. There is no cable visible until you look behind the speakers. The amps are below in my basement shop. My room is rather plain, I can not stand anything rattling. The only commonality I can see is we both use 8 woofer drivers and both rooms were purpose designed for audio.  It would be a lot of fun to take people blindfolded into both rooms, play the same program and see which system they liked better. 

There are two diseases that audiophiles routinely catch for which there is no vaccine. There is the Mark Levinson disease, if it costs more it must sound better and the Dan D'Agostino disease, if it looks cool it must sound better. 

My brother has a pair of Dayton Wright XG10 Mk I Electrostatic Loudspeakers (circa 1980) driven by a bridged pair of Richard Brown's BEL 1001 Amplifiers (last series).  They required some TLC, but they are spectacular.  

Now Francois Lemay (Lemay Audio) has created the Dayton Wright Hommage Loudspeakers (Toronto).  

I still have a pair of Canton Karat 200s and a Denon PMA-757 (made in Japan) integrated amp from the mid-80s and they still sound amazing. The Karats were made in West Germany, pre-unification. There's no Canton dealers near me but I'd love to hear their current line-up.