Speaker Recommendations for my Vintage Marantz 2270 and Miracord 50H MK II

I just purchased a Marantz 2270 that was refurbished.  Wondering what speakers you think might go well with the system.  40 years ago I had this turntable matched with a Pioneer SX838 and Avid 103 speakers.  Looking for a full range floor standing speaker with a small footprint say approx. 12-13" wide.  Price range under $2,000.  Thanks for your comments. Bob
rkbcpa55

Showing 2 responses by paraneer

Are you looking to match your vintage receiver with vintage speakers?  Or are you just asking for recommendations, new or used, that would match well with your Marantz 2270?

If the latter, then know your receivers limitations.  Unlike todays amps that can almost double down into 4 Ohms, most receivers back in the day were strictly 8 Ohm amps. Your Marantz is no exception as it puts out the same 70 wpc into 4 as it does into 8.  So no matter which speaker you choose, I would make sure they are only 8 Ohms and look for sensitivity ratings of 90 db or higher.  So go out and start auditioning those that sound best to you - if you liked the way your old Avid 103's sounded suggest you narrow your search to models with soft dome tweeters.  Speakers are way too subjective for anyone to make a meaningful recommendation.  You must listen.

BTW, I wintered at Valley Forge too along with akg_ca and couldn't agree with him more about vintage being smoked by todays gear.  I had a pair of Avid 102's and pushed them with a 65 wpc Technics receiver of the same vintage.  A good amount of power at that time.  At 85 db sensitivity, I was constantly blowing the fuse for the tweeter.  The 103's were only 83 db and even more difficult to drive.  Most air suspension designs back in the day were severely underpowered, but watts were a lot more expensive back then.  I think you'll find many of todays speakers far more pleasing to the ear with only 70 watts of output.

Good luck!

Yes, I seen this too.  But the fact that this receiver puts out the same amount of power into 4 ohms as it does 8 ohms tells me it has a very limited power supply.  A 4 ohm speaker could suck the life out of this receiver in a hurry.  Most modern amps can almost double their wattage into 4 ohms as opposed to their rating into 8.  If it was me, I wouldn't trust a vintage receiver with a true 4 ohm speaker.

This is also why nearly all speakers were 8 ohms back in the day.