Speaker for McIntosh setup

I am looking for suggestions on a good set of speakers to match up to a vintage McIntosh system. I currently have a McIntosh C29 and two MC2205 amps to power these speakers. All these units have been recapped and meet original specs. I am looking to spend in the $5k range.

I need some suggestions on speakers to match with this system. I live in a remote area to access true audio shops so I thought I would create a short list and make a road trip to hear them in person.

Note: The system is in a large great room.

Thanks in advance.

redwood1965

Showing 2 responses by james633

Really anything neutral or even a touch bright will be fine. 
I would stay away from dark speakers with Mac gear. 
I can’t answer you question directly but I can give some klipsch Mac input. 
I use Klipsch RP8000F in my home theater but when I broke them in I hooked them up to my two channel rig which has a MC462. The MC462 and the RP8000F really made me question a lot of things. It sounded plain out good. The mids of the klipsch lack the presents and last bit of detail (but not bad) but the highs were great. The bass was deep but also lacked the last bit of detail. All in all way better than a $1000 speaker should sound in my mind. 
I was a bit dumb founded as how such a cheap speaker with a box that was super hollow sounded... well good. Interesting for sure. But who would hook up a $1000 speaker to $15,000 worth of electronics. 
I also demoed the Cornwall IV on a McIntosh 7200 integrated. It sounded so so to me with kind of odd bass that did not seem to blend well with the mids. It could have been the room etc. I need to give them another try at a different dealer/room. I have two in town. The highs were very nice on the Cornwall iv Mac setup though.