Speaker Choice for Almarro 318B

Guys, I'm a budding audiophile looking to jump up to tube amps after a few years with an Arcam/B&W integrated combo. I've become smitten with the Almarro 318B integrated tube amp and now I'm in the market for some affordable speakers that will suit the amp better than my B&W DM 602 S3 speakers. The room is approx 14'X 16', hardwood floors with a small area rug, celings are approx 10' high. Speakers will need to be placed close to the wall. I listen to an eclectic mix of music that veers from noise rock to experimental electro acoustic to HEAVY avant metal ala Sunn O))) to more traditional things like PJ Harvey and Radiohead. I'm in need of a good speaker recommendation. I've been looking into Green Mountain Audio Europas, Zu Tones, Gallo Ref 3.1s, and the Omega Super XRS speakers. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? If I had the cash I would get the GMA Callistos based on reputation, or the Zu Druids, but I don't think I even have the space for these speakers. I am leaning toward a used pair of Europas for $650 shipped. Should I take the plunge? Please help! I want a speaker that will be a noticeable step up from my current setup...Will the GMA Europas mix well with the Almarro 318B? Thanks!
mbleming
I've been busy, I'm afraid ... picked up the M33s from AudioMax ... fast, smooth transaction. Yes to Darkmoebius ... I used a Bailey sub with the SuperAbbys ... simply loved the sound with the A205A amp, perhaps a bit less so with the 318B, though I much prefer the 318 ... but I got tired of storing the crates and finally wanted to try something a bit smaller. I had been told that the Cain Wall-o-Sound was worth every penny, and I had also been told that the other Almarro speakers were speakers that deserved much more attention than they receive. My own web-searches led me to believe that the M33A's just might approach what the SuperAbbys could do musically, perhaps in large part because the Almarro's use dual full-range drivers ... and I have to say that even the first notes made it clear that I was going to be happy with these speakers ... and I am. Huge presence, immediate and fast, not at all thin, lots of upper extension and the bass, which I think Almarro pegs at 35Hz, doesn't leave me wishing for more. It probably does do a legit 35Hz. I once had Nautilus 804's and 803's, both of which were criticized for what some felt was "skimpy" bass reproduction (I didn't quite agree but clearly understood), but these Almarro's offer sufficient bass, much more enjoyable than what the B&W's offered, and everything is enhanced by the full-range driver effect (the M33A's) ... continuity, integration yet great definition and detail. Since these are dual full-rangers without a crossover, they're very much like single-driver speakers. I think I bought the last pair that AudioMax had at that time. Odds are high that I'll be selling them soon, as well as the Almarro, but only because I've got my eyes on another motorcycle that's going to require some serious dollars.
Finally got around to putting the finishing touches on my office rig (see Free Trade Fidelity listed my System) where my Almarro is paired with Aurum Cantus V3Ms and running a REL R305 sub in tandem.

Needless to say that I'm thrilled with the sound ... especially after rolling the input tubes with NOS Mullards. Sound is crystal clear and yet very sweet. Bass, in particular, is quite impressive - tight, quick, and nicely weighted. I was concerned that the ribbon tweeters in the V3Ms might be a bit harsh, but this wasn't the case - just pure detail without any hint of fatigue - I suppose the Mullards contributed mightly here.

10-10:30 on the dial which is plenty loud and I agree with Beragamo that their is no need to rule out the A318B with speakers of moderate efficiency as there seems to be more than sufficient power on hand.

Cheers,
Garry
After about five long months, I finally took delivery of my Almarro 318B last Saturday. Needless to say, I'm loving it, a great upgrade from my old Arcam amp. I'm still undecided on speakers, but it does sound good (to my ears anyway) with my B&Ws! Let me give a quick plug to Dale and Eugene Hi Fi in Oregon for their OUTSTANDING service. They were great to deal with and I'd wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone looking for gear. Now on to finding a better speaker match!
07-25-08: Arkprof
Yes to Darkmoebius ... I used a Bailey sub with the SuperAbbys ... simply loved the sound with the A205A amp, perhaps a bit less so with the 318B, though I much prefer the 318
That's a similar experience to what I heard with the A318B vs A205 on my Double Bens and Abbys. I preferred the A205A.

But, put the A318B on a slightly harder to drive speaker, like my 90dB/4 ohm Jean Marie Reynaud Twins monitors, and it really sang. I think the A318B needs to move a little current to sound it's best and >95dB speakers just don't get it into it's working range where things sound fully fleshed out. With the right speakers, I truly love that amp.

I also think I heard an early prototype of the M33's a couple of years ago at The HiEnd show in LA. They were pretty impressive, definitely to my liking.
07-26-08: Darkmoebius

But, put the A318B on a slightly harder to drive speaker, like my 90dB/4 ohm Jean Marie Reynaud Twins monitors, and it really sang. I think the A318B needs to move a little current to sound it's best and >95dB speakers just don't get it into it's working range where things sound fully fleshed out.

I agree with you wholeheartedly . . . the A318B definately seems to like to be goosed a bit. When doing so over the last few days, I've noticed much greater depth / dimension soundstage wise - "fleshed out", as you say, more or less sums it up best.

Cheers,
Garry
I have Tekton Design Lore speakers with my Almarro.
At 97db, it sounds incredible.
I had Monitor Audio RS6's at 92db and it sounded very good.
The A318B is a giant killer that has plenty of current and lots of forgiveness.
I found as with most systems, tubes, cables and IC choise will go far in what you get out of the A318B.
JW Audio
Hi
There is ONLY one speaker I can warmly recommend to you.
Coral Beta 8 inch ir 10 inch.
I have a few pairs and never found anything better.
Regards
Daniel
MElbourne
ZU AUDIO. Great speakers. Any model would be a great match.
I used to have an Almarro 318A. It was nice. I used Proac Signature 2000's with it without any problems. The Proacs are 87db, 8 ohm speakers. The volume went high enough for me. Maybe a little soft sounding. Mine was the A version not like yours the B. Maybe that's why it was a bit soft. The A has no negative feedback. Any 8 ohm 90 db or higher speakers should work good with your Almarro for most situations.
08-31-11: Mezzanine
Maybe a little soft sounding. Mine was the A version not like yours the B. Maybe that's why it was a bit soft.
I traded several emails with the owner and designer of all Almarro equipment, Mr. Muramata(sp?) when 318A was a fairly new product. He said the "A" had an intentionally soft top end for Japanese customers who primarily listened to classic jazz on vinyl where there was a lot of background hiss/noise. They had just released the "B" which featured a larger and better output transformer and had more extended frequency range. I was upgraded to the "B" and found it to be a far better amp in all regards.
OP here...I still have the Almarro 318B and I still love it! I've used three pairs of speakers with the amp, my original B&W speakers (which sounded very good btw), a pair of Almarro M33A (very nice, but didn't suit my listening tastes as well as the Zus) and my current speakers, Zu Essence. The Almarro made all of them sing, but I prefer the Zu speakers out of all three.
I knew you still had the amp. It's that good.
I have never wanted to upgrade my amp. Once I heard the Almarro, I knew I wouldn't be able to do better at anywhere near the price I paid.
Reading this you guys are making me miss my Almarro 318A now! Darn.
I wish I never had sold it. Can you believe I sold it to a guy for only $700! It was in perfect shape too. I might have to give it a try again but this time the B version and hook it up to some Zu's. Thanks for the info on the A version Darkmoebius.
Hello I’m a newbie and this is my first post here!
I am considering buying the A318B for a pair of klipsch cornwa III. Anybody has any experience with these speakers?
I too would like to connect a subwoofer to the almarro but I can’t figure out how. My subwoofer has speaker level inputs but no outputs…
Any help or opinions are much appreciated
Jamset.
To connect your sub to the amp, just run a second pair of speaker cables from the amp's speakers outputs to the subs speaker inputs.
It is a truly special amp when paired with proper speakers
-

darkmoebius:

I am really interested on your opinions regarding speakers matching with the almarro A318B. I have speakers rating at 102 db sensitivity. Based upon your posts I can conclude that this is too sensitive for this amp? Because the the amp needs to be driven at higher volumes for it to sound best? Am I correct?

What other amplifiers would you suggest for my speakers ? I would really like to experience the SET sound …

Best regards
Jamset: please look at the following companies who make quality tube products: Japan: Luxman N100 or 38, Leben 300,
America: MacIntosh 275 (my father had one for 40 years with no tube failure), Decware (lifetime warranty) Italy: Unico

dan4806 posts 08-29-2011 7:35pm Hi There is ONLY one speaker I can warmly recommend to you. Coral Beta 8 inch ir 10 inch. I have a few pairs and never found anything better. Regards Daniel MElbourne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

13 years ago. Dan lets us all know, what is the finest speaker for SET amplifiers,,and no one sewemed to pay any attention whatsoever. Coral Beta 8 was the fines speaker for all and every SET amplifier. (other than horns of course). SET amplification is the finest musical power. FR (Full Midrange) is the finest speakerr for all SET amps (other than a horn). Just saying,, just giving updates,, ok now lets reshove FR back under the bus... DavidLouis VX8 and DLVX6 the 2 finest speakers for SET amps, SET amps are the best power for high fidelity musical reproduction.

What other amplifiers would you suggest for my speakers ? I would really like to experience the SET sound �

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Many of us back then, 2008, wanted to exp a SET amp, But had no access. They were very expensive and very heavy back in the day,,,now much more accessible,,,and I believe PP amps will begin to take 2nd place to SETs. A reassessment, re-adjustment, a re-alignment, if not a Revoltion is starting to take place. Thabks to SET accessibility.

~~~~~~~~~~~~SETs rule,,and dont you forget it.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I guess some of you are wondering,, **why is he reviving this old thread???**

I realized yesterday,  my old curiosity about Coral Beta 8 was never answered,,, til ..

I realized the DavidLouis VX8, VX6 is pretty much The New Coral Beta 8,,and IMHO better.

Like the Phoenix from the eternal fires,  transformed into a  new life form.

Stravinsky;'s Firebird Suite.  Jung's alchemical studies.