SP10 Mk II vs Mk III

A couple of guys here were planning to do listening comparisons of the Technics SP10 Mk II vs the Mk III, in their own homes and systems. Has anyone actually completed such a comparison? I am wondering whether the "upgrade" to the Mk III is actually worth it in terms of audible differences between the two tables. Possibly mounting either table in a well done wooden or slate plinth mitigates any sonic differences that would otherwise be heard. I am thinking of Albert Porter and Mike Lavigne in particular, who were going to do the comparison. Thanks for any response.
lewm
Hi, for those using wooden plinths, what footers seem to work with the SP10 mkll? Stillpoints, Herbies, Mapleshade to name a few, I would like feedback to form a starting point.
thanks
Anyone know what are the specifications on the brass rod one would use to drain the vibrations from the SP-10's spindle? Also, how much torque?

Thanks,

Cr
What a good thread this is! Thank you.
There has been a lot of questioning re. lengthening the cables so as to take the boards outside the plinth. My SP-10 arrived with me with the electronics in an external case connected by about 24" of multicore OCC connected with a normal computer multiway D plug to the electronics. The motor end is connected (soldered) to a tag board attached to the motor.

I can assure you that this modification gives for a far quieter background than when the TT is as standard. Other than replacement of electrolic caps and a few other passive component the electronics are totally standard. I was using for several years a B7 solid obsidian plinth and a 'Plexiglass' armboard which I replaced with a 1" finest grain solid carbon board - Carbon NOT carbon graphite bon. (Arms used include FR 64S (best) Graham (does not suit my very low compliance heavy MCs) and Zeta which is pretty good.

If I could find a big block of solid fine grain carbon here in the UK at a sensible cost I would have the whole plinth made of the stuff...as it is I am now going to use natural slate.
Rnadelman, Choosing feet is like choosing a way to comb your hair. Everyone has a different idea of what is best. I recently purchased some of those huge feet that TT Weights make for their own Christine turntable. The feet are for sale here on Audiogon. I have not yet had a chance to audition them, but they provide no "suspension" effect, per se. I had a special need for feet at least 2 inches in height so as to clear the lead or iron block I use to drain vibration from the bearing. (Bought it from Albert Porter, so don't know whether it is lead or iron.) Other good feet for heavy tts include cerapucs, symposium roller block, etc., all of which are costly. You might find a used set here on Agon.

Impulse, The only place you might ever see that big a piece of pure carbon would be in a pencil factory (kidding). Can you post some photos of your SP10 with external electronics. Also, can you say how you know that outboarding the electronics results in a "far quieter" background. Have you heard it both ways? Thanks.
Cknicker, I see now after all these months that I misunderstood your question of 11-07-09. You asked whether I replaced the 1uF electrolytics with 1uF film caps. The short answer is "no". The new Panasonic lytics in 1uF look to be very high quality stuff. On 11-08, I originally responded to your question in the belief that you were simply asking whether I had changed out the film caps per se. Did not do that either.

Impulse, Forgot also to say that just yesterday I read a thread on the French Lenco site suggesting that Panzerholz may be a better plinth material than slate, not that I am about to ditch all my slate plinths. Anyway, on that thread we have a materials science guy who has measured energy dissipation, resonance and damping factor of a number of different plinth materials. Nice data, but we have no way to know he is measuring the "right thing".