SP10 Mk II vs Mk III

A couple of guys here were planning to do listening comparisons of the Technics SP10 Mk II vs the Mk III, in their own homes and systems. Has anyone actually completed such a comparison? I am wondering whether the "upgrade" to the Mk III is actually worth it in terms of audible differences between the two tables. Possibly mounting either table in a well done wooden or slate plinth mitigates any sonic differences that would otherwise be heard. I am thinking of Albert Porter and Mike Lavigne in particular, who were going to do the comparison. Thanks for any response.
lewm
Thanks Albert and Mike. I completely agree with everything you say about how to make a valid comparison. The weird thing about "noise" is that one may think that noise is not a factor in one's own system, if one can't hear noise per se. Then, when something is done to lower supposedly inaudible noise, it becomes so obvious that music reproduction has improved. I agree with Mike that it becomes more "alive and involving". I think it also affects the soundstage in very good ways. Maybe that's the same thing. Anyway, please do report on your eventual findings, guys. Finding a Mk III is another matter entirely. I haven't seen one for sale anywhere in many months.
Lewm,

If you want a MK3, I've been searching for them long enough to be able to direct you to one.

Before you say yes, expect to pay minimum $5000.00 and a high of $10,000.00. A MK 3 at Audiogon a while back was listed $10K, it was supposed to be "new" in box. Occasionally they are at Ebay, but I've seen half a dozen at Ebay with the same tired stolen images and always offered on a hijacked or new account with no feedback.

All MK3 I've been able to find are outside the USA. That does not mean there are none here, but rather I don't know where any are for sale. Maybe Steve Dobbins has one? You might check with him.

If outside the USA, remember you must wire transfer money first and pay shipping. My MK3 came from France and when it arrived at DFW Airport Customs held it.

I drove out, wasted half a day and finally got it out of hock. It was packed pitifully, but thankfully undamaged. It was shipped Schenker Air Cargo, that's probably what saved it. Packed the way it was, if it had been UPS I would have had a pile of junk.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just stating the facts.
Albert
I have been looking for a MKIII so if you do have a lead I am all ears.
Thanks
Jeffrey
Email me and I will give you names and email. From that point on, you can decide who you want to deal with.

I'm out of it at that point, cover your butt, be cautious and ask questions before you wire money.
I'm probably inclined to spend my money on proper refurbishment of my Mk II and hope in the meantime that I happen upon a Mk III serendipitously. I know of one in Asia that is so relatively low in price, compared to Mike's and Albert's quotes, it must be a scam. Having written this, I may yet contact you, Albert.