Source Rotel RCD 971 Player Upgrade or DAC

I am reaching out to find out the merits of spending more money on a new CD player or investing in the Bel Canto Dac 1. I have been in the process of upgrading my system for the last year and one of my earliest purchases was my source. When I purchased my source I did not anticipate the other upgrades I would make. I now believe that my source may be the weak link in the system.

I am interested in improving the sound of my system now and will deal with SACD and DVD-Audio at a later date. The things that I am trying to find out are:

1. What an upgrade from the Rotel RCD 971 to the Rotel RCD 991 or Rega Planet 2000 be significant? I have read a few places that the 971 can be somewhat dry and unmusical. At times I do get that feeling.
2. What are the relative merits of getting a higher end CD player versus getting a DAC?
3. If I got a higher end player, is it common to still have to purchase a DAC to get sound improvements.
4. Other impressions of the Rotel RCD 971.

My system contains:

Rotel RCD 971 CD Player
Rega Planar 3 coming shortly
Rotel 970 Phone preamplifier
Adcom 750 Preamplifier
Odyssey Audio Stratos Monoblocks
Magnepan 1.6qr speakers
Acoustic Zen Matrix interconnects
Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables by wired
Harmonic Technology Pro AC 11 power cords on Odyssey Monoblocks
Kimber PowerKod on the Adcom preamp
syarde

Showing 1 response by soix

Try the EVS Millennium DAC II risk free, and if you don't like it you're only out about $15-$20 shipping. I was in a similar situation in not wanting to do the new formats until they have more software available and, more importantly, incorporate a digital out. My system absolutely came to life upon adding the Millennium DAC--the soundstage expanded in all directions, dynamics improved dramatically, tonal colors are significantly more fleshed out, and there is a total and utter transparency and clarity that you really have to hear to believe(I was previously using a modified MSB Link DAC, which was good but not in the same league as the EVS DAC). The parts used are the best available, and you would have to pay thousands more to get another DAC or player with this level of quality parts and execution. Finally, and not insignificantly, this DAC will be upgradeable to handle the new formats(albeit in 2-channel only) once the digital connection becomes available. At $1050 this thing is a ridiculous steal, and it will take your system to a much higher level. Try one and I bet you won't return it--I don't know of anyone who has. See reviews on audioreview.com and stereotimes.com, and/or go to the EVS website at www.tweakaudio.com. By the way, I don't have any involvement with EVS other than my extreme enthusiasm for this DAC and what it has done for my system and enjoyment of music. Best of luck.

Tim