Soundsmith Straingauge SG-200 cartridge system

Hi everyone, haven't heard much discussion of this one in a while. I'm just starting to run a direct rim drive Trans Fi Salvation tt sporting a Trans Fi Terminator air bearing linear tracking arm. It's a total game changer imho, but I fear the Zu modded Denon 103 cart on it, excellent as it is, may have performance bettered by something more SOTA. I'm looking for something to match the tt/arm's neutrality, solidity and eveness, and am drawn to the Straingauge. Reviews praise it's speed and naturalness, but some comments are more guarded commenting on tonal thinness, edginess and overanalytic quality.
If it helps I hate over sharp carts like Lyra Skala, are more comfortable with neutral carts like the Transfiguration Orpheus, and feel the humble Zu 103 is a giant killer in the rhythmn/timing/involvment stakes.
So comments please from those who have experience of the Straingauge, thank you.
spiritofmusic

Showing 5 responses by lewm

The Astatic vs the Strain Gauge. One costs a few hundred bucks, and the other will cost several thousand bucks. So there's that to think about. If you are disappointed in the Astatic, you would lose maybe $100 on the re-sale; maybe less.
Spirit,
I should not have been so specific in naming one single vintage MM or MI cartridge that would knock your socks off, if properly implemented. Others include but are not limited to: Grace Ruby, Stanton 980LZS (and other extinct Stanton models), Acutex 320 and M320, Technics EPC 100C MkIV (perhaps the king of them all). And there are many more that I have not personally heard. In any case, it seems to me that you want to buy the SG200 cartridge, and you are looking here for justification. Like Doug says, go for it, but have a listen first if at all possible. Trust but verify.

BTW, I never thought of my Triplanar as "sweet sounding". I do think of it as rather neutral sounding. But in contrast to a GP Monaco, perhaps it is sweet; I wouldn't know.
Raul, Sadly, no more MF200s are available from that source, not even styli.
Doug, Do you have an Astatic MF200, or what other cartridge recommended by Raul are you referring to? I have never heard any Astatic, yet.

The MM/MI sound is "different" for sure from the MC sound. It's a trade-off, as in all things human, but if one happens to prefer the good qualities of the MM/MI sound to the alternative, one can be quite content without spending the big bucks. In other words, my judgement is that the best MCs are not superior to the best of the other technologies in every way. And it's kind of fun messing with inexpensive cartridges and finding a gem here and there.
What? I thought everyone knew that induction sounds funny.
But seriously, folks, I have no idea what Paul heard, because my auditory acuity, or lack thereof, is more like yours than his, but I do think I hear a certain character in MI cartridges vs the other two major types. For that matter, I think we could easily agree that MMs sound "different" from MC, as a class. Having said that, I am sure I could be fooled in a single-blind test, if I had to guess whether I was listening to an MM, MI, or MC. Which gets us back to Moving Flux (MF). Astatic is the only one I know about, unless MF is synonymous with Induced Magnet, a la some Grado and Acutex products.

There are good MI cartridges as well as bad ones, I'm sure.