Soundsmith notes the passing of Doug Cassara

I would like to post here the passing of Doug Cassara, of Mamaroneck New York, last evening.

Doug was one of my audio/engineer "students" back in the beginning of the 70's; he worked for Julius Futterman as well. Doug was severely injured in a car accident, and became a quadriplegic in his 20's. As many know, they don't live very long. Doug lived for more than 45 years in his wheel chair, his breathing created by wires to his diaphragm, his speech timed as it allowed. Doug was one of the few heroes I have known. He took up water color painting with a brush handle placed in his mouth; he collected and repaired tons of audio gear by teaching others what to do with their hands and minds. He came to Soundsmith to visit and listen -  I gifted him a strain gauge when he showed interest in it, which brought him some measure of joy. His love of music was deeper than anyone could imagine, and went to concerts as often as he could, and befriended many musicians.

He needed 24/7 nursing at home for all the years in that chair and in bed, in case the machine failed to make him breathe. He was hospitalized many times, and NEVER gave up. A recent hospitalization was one he could not recover from, and he asked that his support be terminated. I do not have one cell in my body that is as brave and courageous and determined to survive as much as his entire being did. He deserves to be mentioned here; he was an audio engineer and audiophile like few others. God speed Doug - I will continue to pray for you, and pray there is so much music where you are. I will miss you. You were one of the very few heroes left for us to admire in this age. 

Peter Ledermann/Soundsmith

retipper

This was beautiful. What happened to these days of admiration and respect of others? 

Our Heroes are now gangsters, villains, criminals and sports figures. What did anyone expect would happen ? (sigh)...... peter

Condolences on the passing of your friend, Peter. Doug sounds like a wonderful human. He was a fellow Quad 57 user! Lovely outpouring of words from all. Fantastic story, Jason B. Love the Futterman twist at the end.

Doug is in a good place now and he is free. That was his test in this world and he passed with flying color's! He was blessed with true friends and was very respected.