SOTA table owners- getting upgraded

I have an older Star Sapphire version II which I bought new back in 1986 and subsequently upgraded with a III platter. In 1999 I put it into storage when moving to London and got it out earlier this year. I thought about getting a VPI Scout but ended up sending the table to SOTA to have the springs upgraded and while there, had the platter bearing replaced, the sub-chassis stiffened and dampened and purchased a Cosmos composite armboard. The motor, the original pabst, and the vacuum checked out fine.

I use the table with a SME V and a AT OC-9 cartridge. Man, what a difference these mods have made. Speed stability has improved as the hanging turntable no longer wobbles all over the place due no doubt to the new springs. The table's background noise is now so low that music comes out from a black and quiet background. Soundstaging and clarity have likewise seen substantial increases. If you have an older SOTA, I highly recommend these changes to your table.
barolobrain
In my own experience, and, in talking with Sota, that is not either recommended or good sounding to my ears. Even with their old rubber mat, the bass fullness, tightness, and, overall quality improves. I think the sound is too thin with a bare platter.
The only reason SOTA wants the mat in use is because if the platter is not kept clean,you can get noise on the vinyl,from the vacuum pressure.This is not a problem,if you are good in keeping the platter clean.

As for the sound,I have had multiple Sotas over the years.My pals,also have had quite a few.What can I say.If you don't want to go bare,fine.The sound to ALL of my audio group,and myself is a BIG improvement going bare.

Think about it.The bare platter is SOTA's proprietary material,that supposedly mates with the vinyl to form a massive interface.Why would an intermat protect that interface?It only slightly softens the sound,and does not have the dynamics,and resolving capability of the "CORRECT" interface,which must be bare,for the "vinyl formula" platter top to do it's magic!We have compared,multiple times on a very high res set-up,and there is no contest!Sorry to disagree,but you're off on this one.Best wishes!
Sirspeedy. My table is not a vacuum model. Do you think this still applies? It is a Mk II table.
YES!!!!!!! So long as you have the "VINYL FORMULA" platter top!The only way to have the interface is to have the LP contact the actual platter top.
I just got my Star TT back from SOTA after having it upgraded to a Nova. In the process I also got rid of the black base in favor of American Cherry - what a difference in look along with the much nicer acrylic dust cover. I just added a new Benz M2 moving coil cartridge and I'm excited to hear the difference. Currently using a Cary PH-301 phono stage but will be upgrading that as well.

I'm glad these guys are still around, they make outstanding TTs.