Sota or Technics

Hello all, first time post here. 
I am in the market for a new TT under 2k. I've narrowed it down to the Sota Comet and the Technics 1200GR.
Going to use a $300 to $500 MM cart. 
System consists of NAD533 TT (currently). NAD pre amp, Cambridge Phono pre amp, Mac 240 amp, TDL compact monitors. 
Sota i like as it uses the 330 tonearm, is built in the states, solid rep, solid support, is pleasing to the eye.
Technics I like as it's built like a tank, seems more plug and play has a good rep and looks good too. (more bells and whistles, both positive and negatives there)
Obviously they are different in some ways. Direct drive vs belt etc..
Was wondering if anyone had an opinion either way on either deck. Greatly appreciate any feedback.
Thank you
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xdoyle3433

Showing 3 responses by doyle3433

I would love the 1200G. but full disclosure I'm also trying to budget for some new or new to me loudspeakers. I love my TDL's but it's time for a change. My hope was to upgrade TT and speakers for around $4 to $5k. 
I mostly listen to jazz, big band to some fusion, Rock of all kinds. 
I like that both the Sota and Technics are daily drivers if you will. I mean no offence to any of the upper crust players. 
I look at it this way. I have a wonderful Triumph that I don't drive often, great car, fun to work on, fun but scary to drive. I also have a mildly modified Mazda MX5 and drive the snot out of it. Guess that's the long winded thought process. 
I worked in a high end store back in the early 90's. 
Glad I found this site, reminds me of such good times. 
I want to thank everyone for the comments and suggestions. You all have given me food for thought for sure. It seems that DD and belt drive are two distinct animals from the same family. Lion vs Tiger no? Both seem to have their fans and detractors, I get it. It pains me to say that at least in my area, the days of going in for a nice sit down with a couple options are gone. That was what got me into this world in the first place, and provided me with my most memorable job while in school. (hard to beat listening to great music, on great gear, drinking Irish coffee while working on school work.)

I also appreciate the suggestions to look at the Music Hall, and someone locally advised me to check out a VPI scout, or scout jr. 
Well to throw a wrench in my original post, I ended up going with neither. I had the opportunity to borrow a friend's MoFi Ultra deck and ended up loving it! so that's what I brought into my cave. I am more than pleased with it. Super solid build quality, amazing dynamics. Its warm and revealing. I'm playing discs I haven't listen to in years.