Sorry, it’s not me, it’s you?

I’ve tried everything, but it didn’t work out.  My speakers suck.  Different cables, different music, different placement, it didn’t matter what I did.  When I replaced them with some old standbys(after burning in the new speakers for over 60 hours), the magic came back.

i just bought the speakers 2 weeks ago at the Black Friday sale, and I finally realized it was a big mistake.  So today I took them back, and frankly, I feel relieved.  
Has anyone else had this experience with speakers or components?  Maybe even after a couple of years?
213runnin

Showing 1 response by cd318

@kenjit ,

"All speakers are a mistake. It's only a matter of time before you want something else."

True,  but getting something better is another matter altogether.

My worst mistakes were speakers that had nasty treble, usually overly sibilant. The problem was that I didn't find out til I turned the volume right up, but when I did it became difficult to ignore. 

The saddest case was with the Ruark Prologues. An otherwise wonderful loudspeaker that could have been even better with a decent tweeter. 

I've had a similar experience with headphones. Spending more will often get you less. Between £30 and £250 I can't say I've heard too much of a difference. The main action seems to be from the Sennheiser HD6xx and upwards to around £400.

Turntables were never a problem. Both the Rega 3 and the LP12 were better than their predecessors, even if the latter soon threatened to become a bottomless money pit.