Soooooooo many possibilities...!

Hello folks :)
Humbly request to tap into the vast experience and knowledge that is the Audiogonners history.
What preamp and/or phono stage would give a really nice soundstage, and sound, with my equipment?
Said equipment consists of a pair of McIntosh MC1000 amps, a pair of McIntosh XR200 speakers, and a Denon DP 59L turntable.
Audio Research Ref 6 has not sold me, and, wonder if something else out there may sound better...  Also, is an Audio Research Ref 2 Phono a good route to go?
Thank you:)
audioglow
I’ve never owned the Steelhead, but my Jumbo Shrimp and Chinook were very quiet - no humming noise. I used them with both shielded and unshielded ICs. 
Greetings fsonicsmith:)  Personally I like the sound pushing outside the speakers.  Regarding the ref 6 experience.
An analogy.  Some houses in the suburbs around here have houses all in rows.  A home shares a property line with a house to the left and to the right.  And their lawns meet at the lines.  So a guy has a tractor mower and he mows all 3 front lawns (the neighbors have push mowers).  He starts at the front of the homes and with nice cuts/lines mows until he hits the street.  So, this guys young son wants to ride that tractor mower sumpth'n fierce (what kid wouldn't:), and, the guy really doesn't want to mow (it's flipp'n hot out there!).   So two birds one stone, up youngster gets on that bad boy and... yeeehaw, gits r going.  Wellllll... there are loops n circles n zig-zags n more.  Patches are cut, others not.  Its a patchwork maze.  Some places they way should be and others not making it.  Kinda like my ref 6 experience.  The property lines are the speakers and the mower went outside the property line.  And the lawn got mowed, just not nicely or completely... it did not come together into a beautiful picture.  Granted the room or the speaker location may have played a role...  Hey now, I never said it was a great analogy, lol :)  Will give the ref 6 another go sometime soon though:)
Thank you!
Rats.  Atmo-Sphere MP-3 has no remote.  Which would be nice.
The Manley Steelhead latedt version does.

Any relatable info for:
Audible Illusions Modulus 3B, Ayre, or Simaudio 740p?
Thanks
Yes, the MP-3 does have a remote.
Call Ralph at Atma-Sphere.
An Ayre KX-R or KX-5 would also work.
B
All the research done this week mentions no remote.  If you get a minute and can post a link that would be great.
Thanks!