Sonus Faber Sonetto V’s Thoughts Requested

Hello. While I’ve never posted, I’ve been a very regular lurker here for the last couple of years. The wealth of knowledge here is truly remarkable and much of it is over my head. I really respect the opinion of @Soix , @ghdprentice , and @erik_squires as well as others not named. I also appreciate how they generally go about their posts and replies, while a few others can get petty and combative, which is unfortunate and unhelpful. Overall, it seems like a good bunch that genuinely loves their hobby and likes to help others, which is great. I know, nobody asked, but I thought some of you who have been here a while might find the thoughts of a first time poster, who has been reading this informative forum for a while, somewhat interesting. 

I definitely do not consider myself an audiophile, but I have always greatly appreciated good sound. I currently have an older model Arcam AVR-450, which is rated at 125 per channel in stereo mode, driving a pair of KEF Q750’s. I also have a KEF R2C center and a Revel B110 sub. I’m happy with the sound but have become a bit smitten with the Sonus Faber Sonetto V’s and I’m thinking that they will be a somewhat affordable upgrade in sound, and I find them very visually appealing, which I know shouldn’t matter, so call me shallow. I have not heard the Sonettos, but have heard the Amati’s, which of course is a large step up. I’m ridiculously rural, so finding a dealer for a demo is not much of an option. I do prefer a somewhat warmer sound as opposed to a brighter one. I’m not a bass junky believing that bass should enhance not overwhelm. Bass should be heard of course, but for me, there is more in the mids and highs than the lows that makes for good music to my ears. I generally listen to classic rock like Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Elton John, Winwood, Heart, Doobies, Clapton, etc.

My questions to the group are: 1. Would the Sonetto’s V’s be a noticeable upgrade over my Q750’s in SQ? 2. Is my Arcam “good enough” to drive the Sonetto V’s satisfactorily, as an upgrade to the Arcam is not an option for me anytime soon? 3. Please feel free to answer any questions you think I should have asked. Like I said, I’m not an audiophile…

I thank you in advance for your posts! Hey, how about those cable threads and whatever happen to Kenjit?  😉

Doug

dbeckwith

I saw no reason to add anything since I had zero at home experience with expensive speakers. However, I had the Lumina for a weekend and it was not good. This is a very educational thread about Sonus Faber. When I built my list I found that SF is good value and not overpriced as I previously thought

I've been very pleased with my Sonetto V's (piano black) for over 2 years and drive them with a 70wpc integrated tube amp. I listen to a variety of music via streaming and on vinyl and I find they are a great match with tubes. I feel at times that the mids could use a little improvement, but at this price point they are solid. You'll have to decide for yourself depending on your room and overall setup, but adding a good quality sub has been beneficial to me. I now have the itch to move up to SF line to possibly the Olympia Nova V, but I plan to keep the Sonetto's in another system. 

I have no experience with the SF Sonettos, but I did purchase a pre-owned pair of SF Olympica IIIs about three years ago, and my spouse and I are very pleased with  these speakers.  About 20% of our listening is hard rock/classic rock similar to the OP's taste, and the SF's take a bit of the edge off bad or mediocre rock recordings (as compared to, say, Focals or Wilsons), making longer listening sessions a pleasure.

One suggestion for the OP to consider:  Look for a pre-owned pair of the Olympica III or Olympica II (not the newer Nova versions).  I listened to both the Olympicas and the Olympica Novas before purchasing, and did not feel that the Novas were more than marginally superior to their predecessors.  On the used market, you may be able to find a pair of the Olympicas in fine condition for not much more than a new pair of Sonetto Vs.  

The thing about the Sonus is that most people have an opinion of how they are so sweet sounding.  They make everything sound good.  BUT once you find a preamp and amp that match them, then they become another level of sound reproduction.  My partner has gone through so many amps and preamps to find what really brings out the magic in them.

Enjoy them, they are special.

@soix – Thanks for your additional posts. My understanding is that the Venere’s were SF’s misstep into manufacturing their entry level speakers in China. I don’t know, but price point and the China issue may have had something to do with your poor experience. I believe they have taken everything back in house in Italy after that manufacturing experiment produced less than desirable results etc.

Thank you for your Usher suggestions. I will look into them later this evening.

I appreciate and understand you contradicting my I’m not an audiophile comment and maybe I am to a small degree, but much of @mijostyn comments to me were a bit over the head for this neophyte. 😊 So much to learn if I want to progress any in this hobby.  

@jbuhl – Thank you for your input. I can’t help but wonder how the V’s might have been a better match to compare, but I believe the Focals mentioned are a bit cheaper, so hmmm.

@kingbr – Well, you must have really liked the III’s to order the V’s. It will be interesting to read about how you might find them better/different than the III’s. It will also be interesting if you feel the Revels still beat the bigger V’s once you get them. I’ve only heard the Salon 2’s, but understand that Revels are hard to beat at each price point. Thanks for your comments on appearance. I agree that I too have to like the sound and the looks to spend what are not insignificant dollars for me.

@mijostyn – Thank you for confirming that my Arcam will be sufficient to drive the Sonetto V’s, should I go that route, and thanks for your other comments as well. I do care about bass but I’m not looking for a floorstander to be all that in the bass department. I do have a Revel B110 sub, so I should be able to make up any potential low-end deficiency that I might perceive.

To answer your question: I used to regularly frequent concerts when I lived in the big city, but now I’m lucky if I get to go every year or two. Just FYI, for those that like Pink Floyd, I highly recommend seeing a Brit Floyd show should they come to your town. I’ve seen them 4 times and would go back again, given the opportunity. Although, lol, there was a touch too much low end the last couple of times. 😊

@12many – Thank you and agree completely, but hard to do when I’m so far from so called civilization and only have 1 true audiophile friend. One thing I’ve learned while lurking these last couple of years is that there are so many factors that affect sound. A set of speakers may sound great at the dealer but less than desirable when set up in one’s room with their amp, which I bet would be quite frustrating, unless one can return them.

@rick_n – All good points, thank you. I will look at what’s out there in the Novas, but I’m already looking to spend more than I’m comfortable with, but than again, I am fairly frugal, so maybe I just need to get over it for this potential purchase. I’ve bought speakers 4 times, a pair of Q750’s new on sale, a used KEF R2C, and a used Revel B110. Of the 4 originally received packages, 2 were damaged. The new Q that came in damaged (hole in one of the drivers) was replaced by Crutchfield, but buying pricey used speakers... I’m not sure I would do so, unless I could pick them up personally.

@grislybutter – What was your bad experience with the 1 step down Lumina’s? I did like your speaker list. Looks like a large labor of love.

@carmed63 – Thank you for giving me your personal experience with them.

@gg107 – Thank you for your info on the Olympica III’s. I will take a look a bit later this evening.

Thanks to all of you for replying to this newbie. It is much appreciated. 

Doug