Solid state "backup" amp recommendation

Too hot to run my BAT VK-75SE all day on weekend during summer, like to have a solid state amp to fill that job instead. Will be a "backup" amp to my BAT, so can't spend a fortune on it. Budget can be $1k to $2.5k, it's a big range I know. Another criteria is XLR input so I don't need an adaptor.

Have tried Pass X-350, Rowland 8TiHC, McCormack DNA-2 Deluxe, Accuphase P-450, Levinson 331, Forte 4A and many others in the past, favorite was Forte for its musical and tube like sound especially considering its price. But I would like a little more power not to mention something newer for peace of mind.

Amps I am considering, Pass X-250, BAT VK-200/500, Classe CAM-200. What will you vote for? I am leaning toward Pass. Anything else I should consider?
semi

Showing 1 response by 1953

Semi:

You can get the Forte 4 serviced if need be so why not get another one for biamping? It's one of my favorite used SS amps but it does not solve the heat problem.

Regarding the new crop of "digital" amps and I'm not sure what your speakers are, but I can recommend the PS Audio HCA-2 as well. Great bang for the buck. Also, at the top of your price range, I highly recommend the ICE H2O S250 Signature for ~$2800 new. A VERY good amp period. The Tact 2150 amps are hoots too and a very different animal, very clever too.

However, I've found that all the new digital amps (especially the Tact)sound much better when working from really good conditioned power like a PS Audio P-600 regenerator.

Jeff