Solid state amp vs tube amps

Is there a noticeable difference in the sound quality of Tube amplifiers vs solid state amplifier?

marquis4099

It depends on the specific amps, the speakers and system being used, and several other variables, but in general, yes....there’s a notable difference in how they sound.  The better the system, the easier the differences are to hear.

There are differences that are more easily detected, as stated above, the more resolving your system is.  In your system u have to figure out which general amplifier type u like better.  Complicating matters is that within an amplifier type there will be discernable differences in sound signature.  I find that I mostly gravitate toward high powered hybrid and solid state amps driven by a tube preamp.  I have a modest powered strong performing class d amp that's also a honey.  You just have to listen, experiment and experiment more.  You can listen to reviewers, at least some of them.  However, I have had gear that once listened to, I could not get my arms around what had been written in a respectable Audio mag.  I have though found an alignment with Terry London's listening preferences- not completely but mostly.