SME release new Garrard 301

Price is 12,500GBP (c.$16500)
128x128noromance
 Sonic, you have kind of skirted the point. If the turntable shown in the photos published by SME is an example of their new product, then it is no different from an Artisan Fidelity or other refurbishment project that we have seen before. Arguably the SME 301 is not even as technically advanced as is the artisan Fidelity product. Because it definitely appears to be based on an original production Garrard 301 chassis. On the other hand technics produced what is really an entirely new turntable with a new motor and Higher quality construction and perhaps made the error of having it look like their old production item. But the new Technics tables are truly new. It remains to be seen whether the new SME 301 will be a truly new turntable or will be like the one shown in their photos.
 Sonic, you have kind of skirted the point. If the turntable shown in the photos published by SME is an example of their new product, then it is no different from an Artisan Fidelity or other refurbishment project that we have seen before. Arguably the SME 301 is not even as technically advanced as is the artisan Fidelity product. Because it definitely appears to be based on an original production Garrard 301 chassis. On the other hand technics produced what is really an entirely new turntable with a new motor and Higher quality construction and perhaps made the error of having it look like their old production item. But the new Technics tables are truly new. It remains to be seen whether the new SME 301 will be a truly new turntable or will be like the one shown in their photos.
I agree. That said, it would seem highly unlikely that SME would stamp rather than cast the chassis and that the bearing and platter would be exact replicas of the originals. If you read Mortimer's book on the history of Garrard, you will note that the platter had to be drilled one by one to get optimum balance due to the limitations of casting at the time. I would be shocked if the chassis, bearing and platter are no more than exact replicas of the original. I hope we can agree that it will be fascinating to learn more as the details emerge. The original 301 was conceived as a high torque motor meant to overcome purposeful drag between the bearing and the platter. This was thought to minimize wow and flutter. Is it likely that SME would carry over that approach? I wouldn't think so but we shall see. 
As it turns out, the ‘table shown in Munich is a restored original. SME-Garrard is at least a year away from new production. 

Dunno why they showed it, quite honestly.
AUDIO GRAIL has been doing it for a long time and everything they made looks much better than Loricraft (imo) 
Let me guess....price doesn’t include speed box because five figure turntables just can’t regulate their own speed out of the box.