SME 309 or SME 3009r?

I have both arms. My turntable is an Avid Sequel. My cartridge is a Benz LP. I want to rewire one of the arms, but don't know which would sound best. I currently have the 309 on the table so I know how that one performs. I've had the 3009r for quite sometime just sitting on a shelf. It's in terrific shape and the person who gave it to me, and has since passed away, thought it would outperform the 309. Does anyone have an informed opinion? Thanks.

128x128neptune123

Showing 1 response by pgtaylor

@pesky_wabbit

Maybe the SME 3009 was top tier when it came out fifty or so years ago. If the SME wasn't top tier back then, which arms were? Let's not be anachronistic!  It was a high quality product for its time, and priced at the upper limit of what most people were willing to spend on an arm. 

@dover 

What you say about the SME IV & V is really interesting. It iimplies that if one has an SME V and does not use the damping trough or the downforce gauge (or actually has them physically removed from the arm), what one ends up with is identical to a Series IV. 

But one perhaps needs to remember that, as the well-known former SME dealer MIk Bhavnani says (on another forum), each SME arm is an individual hand-assembled product and no two samples sound exactly alike. The Series IV and V may now use the same grade of bearings, but does the same degree of care go into the adjustment of these bearings on a Series IV as on a Series V? Are the magnesium armtubes all of equal quality, or are the better ones (after machining in the SME factory from rough castings) selected for the Series V (as I once read somewhere)?

Maybe the ultimate SME arm would be a stripped-down Series V, with no damping-trough and no downforce gauge.