Single vs Dual Subs

Let's assume the budget is around $2k.

On the one hand, you could pick up a used/demo JL Audio or Velodyne DD-series. On the other, you could get a pair of new subs from Hsu Research or SVS. Given that the solution has to work well for 2-channel music as well as 5-channel movies, what would sway one in one direction or the other?

Thanks,
Lou
lhf63
A-gon'r Kr4 has compared many of the available room correction devices (not sure about the SVS) in his work for Stereophile. You might want to drop him an e-mail.

I did. Unfortunately, he's in the process of reviewing the SVS/Audyssey right now, so he couldn't comment.

I think it's boiling down to this. Two identical subs from either SVS or Hsu, and see how well I can work things manually. The PEQ can be added later in several different ways. Leaving some budget for such future devices, I'm probably looking at a choice between 2 SVS PC12-NSD ($569 each) and 2 Hsu VTF-2 ($549 or $649 each depending on finish). I lean to the cylinder concept for subs, but I know my wife would prefer boxes. Hmmmm...

Thanks again,
Lou
Lou,

I'd strongly recommend you check out the subwoofer test results at HTshack.com. Click "forums" and "subwoofer tests". There's lots of info there to help you make an informed decision. I know that the results for many Hsu and SVS subwoofers are included, but you'd have to check for the specific models you're considering.

Marty
SVS AS-EQ1 review just submitted. Will appear in the September issue.

Kal
Get the best sub you can afford now. Get another later if you don't have enough $$ left over ...

I wanted 12" drivers minimum for my sub(s) so I was only able to purchase one - the best 12" sub I could find. It helped a lot, filling in the last octave for a much fuller sound. I started saving again and eventually was able to purchase a second 12" sub. Now the sound is awesome! With two, located sort of kitty-corner from one another, I am able to get an even smoother and deeper response than with one. Now I get within +-3dB to 20Hz. Dual subs (or more) is the way to go, fur sure!