Single vs. Dual Subs

It's common wisdom that dual or multiple subs help smooth out bass response in different spots in the room, but what about for a dedicated listening room with a fixed single listening position? What do two subs add to the music presentation that a single dialed in sub is missing provided that single sub is dialed in perfectly for the listening position?
Caveat: not interested in the SWARM method or multiple subs at the moment, strictly comparing single to dual subs
divertiti

Showing 1 response by james633

I have two JL audio E112s both are high-passed at 60hz but no dsp. 
Over the last few months both broke (bad volume pots) and needed repaired so I had one sub at a time as I rotated then out for repair. 
During this time I optimized the placement with one sub (large dedicated room). After a lot of messing around I got one sub to sound fine but the volume level adjustment was picky and it never felt just right. I assumed this is because there were some lumps in the bass. Some songs seemed light and some seemed heavy. 
After a few months I got both subs fixed. Dropped them into their normal spot and boom everything locked into place and sounds much better. No more chasing sub volume adjustments. With two subs placement is much more flexible too.