Single driver speakers - opinions

1.Design - what is IYO the best design and why?
2.Sound - How would you describe the sound in comparison to other speaker designs?
3.Amplification - what works and what doesn't?
4.Is the WAF stopping your from moving in that direction?
What do you like or dislike about SD spks?
DIY v.s Commercial designs - Pros and Cons.

Feel free to express yourself and your thoughts about the Single Driver design speakers in this thread.

Ideas, your projects, pics, experiances are all fun and welcome.

From my experiance with at least two SD commercial design that actually worked like a charm, I have to say that I am seriously concidering it as my next DIY project.

Awesome speakers when done right.

Cheers
Mariusz
mrjstark
Thanks Gents (Mariusz & Pauly),
The last two octaves are important to me because I think they're important to the music.

Mariusz, couldn't the spiral simply be a matter of switching the "hole" to the side (covering the front), and switching the stacked ladder (which is seen in the back corners of the top and the bottom) so that it guided the wave out that side rather than the front?
T_bone
That is not what I had in mind.

Your above proposal is not so simple , necessary or present any benefit over the original design.

One of Sachiko's design benefits is that the speakers can be placed relatively close to the front wall.

You can always try to improve the build quality, tweak the box and the driver.

I will include the link tomorrow what I had in mind by double horn spiral design and omnidirectional wave guide by the use of cones at the top and bottom mouth exits.

Another interesting design would be a single spiral horn with driver firing upwards towards cone-dispersion piece for omnidirectional qualities. A use of the super-tweeter might be necessary or helpful in getting the right amount of resolution and air.

It is going to be a bussy winter. :)

MARIUSZ
Hi T

Sorry for the delay in my response, as I haven't been visiting the board lately, and I would like to thank Pauly and Mariusz for their input. The new CarderSound models(Madison on down), are completely different than the DIY plans on Frugal-Horn, so a direct comparison would not help you. They are not even based on the Frugal-Horn designs except for their similar outward appearance.

For what it's worth, Pauly and Mariusz are exactly on the mark. To answer your question more directly, have no fear. In practice, most of the nulls shown in the graphs for the FH models will not exist -they're mainly caused by limitations in the software.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Jeff Carder
CarderSound
Single driver speakers sound great after you do the Absolute Phase tweak on them!
Listen to well design SD speakers and you will find it very hard to go in any other direction. Match it with SET amp and its seductive qualities andd you will be in heaven.
Build it yourself.....ahhhhhh , what a felling.
Seat pretty and enjoy the magic.

Jeff's line of SD speakers is the perfect exemple.(others too)
Is Jeff's design base on original Sachiko (Cardersound Madison)? I do not know and I do not care. What matters is that it is a fine speaker (As well as TyBone).
The point is, that when done right - it works.
Sure.......to get the most out of any design, one must pay atention to details and a lots of tweaking.
The fruit will show in sound to die for.

Jeff,
thanks for opportunity to audition the Madisons and TyBones.
They are awesome.

I am in the works to build my own Sachiko based speakers as well as another (new design(s)) SD speaker that hopefuly will turn heads.

I wish you well and hope to see you again sometimes.

Best
Mariusz