Single driver speakers. Are they worth considering ?

I don't mean electrostatic. How close to a full range speaker can you come with single driver ?
inna
The most full range driver is the ohm walsh driver it covers 9 octaves with an augmented treble driver.
Single-driver speakers split into many categories. Some want high-efficiency, some just want tone, while other may look for crystal-clear sound stage coherency.
The music you listen to adds to the equation. Do you need to "feel" helicopter blades in slo-mo (Matrix...) or you're fine with a less extended but well-defined double-bass notes in Jazz ensembles. Do you really need a flat response to 20KHz when your tired old ears hardly tell the presence of a very low-level 12KHz fifth harmonic. These are all very subjective sonic values that each listener has to decide on his/her own.
Every speaker that I've heard in my long audio search has some compromises. The question in my mind is always whether the set of compromises in a particular product are the best for me.
Some may find perfection in  beautiful Teresonic with a Lowther driver, despite some "shouting" here and there. Some find their peace with a Frugel Horn with a less efficient MarkAudio driver. Other resort to vintage drivers in custom enclosures and possibly tolerate more distortion at higher sound levels.
I'll end the post with a recipe that worked great for me. I read about the Coral Holey Basket on GlowInTheDark audio site and was intrigued by a smallish driver. Tried it for myself and was not happy with its bass response but while reading I discovered the larger 4" brother, the Sony 211-12 out of a TC-630 reel-to-reel. Yes, it's old, it's paper cone, it's a cost-limited commercial driver. It also supports AlNiCo magnets and a 16 ohm coil (more turns!) which is a powerful motor, all for driving a light 4" paper cone. Whether Coral or Sony intended or not, the result is really an outstanding full-range driver. It's not a perfect driver and you'll be able to tell its (minor) limitations if you listen carefully but its dynamic/transient response results in an amazing tone.
I tried it in easy to find cabinets and settled on a Celestion F2, with the tweeter and crossover disconnected, of course. While these speakers will easily run with a small tube amp, I have a more recent Onkyo A-5VL that drives them perfectly. You'll never think of a class-D being a compromise after hearing this combo.
I listen to Jazz, rock, flamenco, pop, country, classical, opera, the whole nine yard... This speaker does the full range just fine, including very low electric bass guitar or double-bass notes. Midrange is great and high extension is more than enough (some find it excessive) for me, and I am a treble and high harmonics freak... (It's where the life is in the music...)
Soundstage is great and extends well beyond the speakers boxes (whas's that?!) from almost any position in a small living room.
If you're on the fence in regard to single drivers but want to try, this DIY project is an easy super low-cost recommendation. In my book it is the fine champagne on a real cheap beer budget!

IMHO:  You might as well get  BOSE 901 monstrosities.  What could be better than 16 three inch speakers facing the back wall, and two facing the front?  Maybe a MegaBoom?  TeeHee
If you only listen to acoustic folk, vocal, unplugged, at moderate volumes.

Some of those single driver speakers do sound amazing.

Depends on your music. If you like electric guitar stuff with bass guitar, and other stuff like that, I would say go for it.

If you like some volume sometimes, and like rock and roll, 3 or 4 way towers, or monkey coffins are the best bet.