Should I upgrade my Advent 5002 speakers?

I’m currently using a pair of Advent 5002 speakers.  I love them but feel like I may be missing a bit using such old speakers.  I’m using an ARC SP-14 with a pair of Luxman MB-3045 amps.  I’ve been intrigued by MoFi SourcePoint 10 speakers.  I know they’re new to the market, but does anybody have experience with the MoFi speakers?  I also have a pair of Boston Acoustics A400s that need refoaming and recapping.  I’m finally satisfied with everything else in my system but feel like the speakers may be the weak link in the chain.  Thoughts or suggestions?

128x128jdougs

Showing 1 response by panzrwagn

I am a huge fan of the Large Advent. Henry Kloss worked some magical engineering into the voicing that still amazes people today. That said they are not the last word in definition and dynamics. Time moves on. Footprint and architecture-wise the SourcePoint 10s bear more than a little resemblance to the Advent, from the 2 Ft3 box to the 10-ish inch woofer and slightly oversized tweeter to enable a lower crossover point. All straight from the Advent playbook. I have admired Mr. Jones work for a long time, and he doesn't do sloppy work.. But, there is another speaker i would seriously consider: the Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G. There are several reasons why Stereophile put this on their Class A list, at a price about 10-20% of most of its peers.  It is really, really good overall. It is accurate, dynamic, has great bass extension, is pretty easy to drive, and is simply provides a listening experience to which you want to return - often. Although a tower, it takes up no more room than the SourcePoints on their obligatory stands.

Rather than repeat what others have said, for both speakers, read the reviews, and find a pair to audition.