Should I buy a new amplifier; and if so, what?

I have a Mark Levinson 336 amp, Levinson 380S pre-amp, Levinson 390S CD Processor and Thiel 7.2 speakers, with Audience interconnects, cables cords and an Audience AR-6TS2 conditioner. Recently, my amplifier's bad caps blew the drivers in my speakers (including the woofer and crossover circuitry) -- that will probably cost me about $3,000, and the replacement of the caps would cost another $3,000. So, I am contemplating purchasing a new amplifier. Can anyone suggest a good amplifier to consider for my system? Thiel said they have used Krell and Simaudio with the 7.2's with nice results, and probably a few others -- I need to re-contact Thiel's customer service rep. Any suggestions, recommendations from Audiogoners would be appreciated.
gapperis123

Showing 3 responses by renjy651

The Levinson 336 is a 10k amp. The reason Levinson repair center charges 3000 dollars is brutal. This is how they make a huge profit. The 336 when the caps explode it will take out the 3 surge resistors on the slow start circuit. you can replace those wires very cheap. These surge resistors are there to protect the amp in case there's a short or capacitor fail. No other high end amps have this cap problem. The reason they used philips caps made in China. They used these caps on 331/332/333/334/335/336 and Levinson 33h. These caps need to be changed on these amps. You can replace these caps for 800 dollars on 336. These caps are very hard to find. I have purchased caps for all these amps from factory. Very expensive. Because no one uses this high voltage for filter supply.
Hifigeek1

With all due respect, I find your assessment surprising. Cornell dubilier 51000uF/160V replacemet cap for 336 ESR 6.9 mOhms. Using a 10000uf cap ESR 31 mOhms you need 5 caps. It will not fit in Levinson. ESR is lot lower on big caps also ripple current is three times higher. There is a reason Levinson used these Super caps it will give better bass also. Philips caps is the culprit. Replace the caps on Levinson 336 with Cornell dubilier caps or Tech cap 62000uF/125V. The Cornell Dubilier is the worlds best capacitor reason they uses a three stage process to create worlds lowest leakage current, longest shelf life. Also they are made in USA. They have no factory in CHINA. You can watch the youtube on google and see how caps are made. Also Nichicon capacitors are very good for power supply.

The Newer amps uses many small caps to reach large capacitance because it is lot less expensive than big caps. That is the reason.
Gapperis123

I have the caps for Levinson 336. Your best choice is to replace the caps on levinson 336 and save about over 2000 dollars. The Levinson 336 is one of the best sounding amp out there. You need total of eight caps for filter supply four caps at either 50000uF/125V OR 62000uF/125V and four 1900uF/250V caps regulator supply. When caps are replaced you will never have any problems.