Shortlist of Speaker Cables/ICs: advice/opinions

Good Day,

I am in the market for speaker cables and interconnects. The system includes an Electrocompaniet amp, Shanling CDP and Gallo Ref III speakers. I am looking for 6-8ft single wire SC and 1m RCA IC, budget of $700-$900 new or used.

The characterisitics I am after are: something detailed and accurate, but not clinical/not too lean. I also prefer something warm as opposed to something bright dry as long as it isn't too rolled off. However accuracy is the key.

I have come up with the following shortlist and would like any suggestions, opinions and experiences. As you can see, I plan to get SC and IC from the same brand (this has always worked well for me):

Kimber: MonocleXL SC and KS-1011 IC
Analysis Plus: Solo Oval 8 SC and Solo Crystal IC
Harmonic Tech: Pro 9 Plus SC and Pro-Silway III IC
Acoustic Zen: Satori II SC and Matrix Ref II IC

Please try not to suggest other brands as many are simply not available to me. I have also tried Cardas and Audience, neither of which impressed me (well, the Cardas Golden Cross did but is way out of my budget).

Thanks and Regards,
X
xenithon

Showing 2 responses by friz1313

I'd like to throw in a last minute recommendation for the Kimber combo. I own a pair of 1011s, and I think it's the best RCA IC in it's price range. It's also very diverse. It beats my $250 Van Den Hul Integration on both Turn Table, just barely, and CD, by a fairly wide margin. (I still use the Van Den Hul for analogue, because I like most everyone have financial constraints. :) It just brings out the delicate sounds of each instrument more clearly. From the slow decay of the cymbal or snare drum, to the singer's breath on the mic before starting to sing. I agree with you on KCAG's or even Silver Streaks. They are definitely bright and very system dependent. There are only a few Component\Speaker combos I would recommend them for.

I've heard the entry level Kimber balanced 1111, (I know apples and oranges) against the Ayre sig series and Cardas neutral reference, and for about 1/2 the price it absolutely tromped them on accuracy, and energy it brought to Coltrane's horn. The treble was so much cleaner and more extended. It just made the instrument sound so alive. Even the store owner was surprised at the difference since he demoes his high-end equipment on the Ayre series.

I own a pair of 8TC's, and am still kicking myself for not paying the few hundred more for a pair Monocle's. To me, that's as much as I'd be willing to spend on speaker cables barring winning the lottery. I think there's a reason the 8TC's won Hi-Fi's speaker cable shoot-out in their price range. And the Hero won Absolute Sound's $250 or less IC shoot-out. Just a testament to the value in Ray Kimbers' products.

I know that combo is at the top-end of your price range, but it comes highly-recommened. Outside of that, I agree with the Acoustic Zen combo recommend.
Good luck with your choice.
Personally, I don't think the price difference between the Monocle X and XL is justified. I've heard them on a 5K pair of ProAcs with an all Ayre front-end. (An amazing combo BTW) You get a little more bass and fuller sound with the XL, but little if any difference in the upper frequencies to my ears. They both have the same geometry, the same core, with the XL having 50% more conductors. You could say the XL stands for an Xtra-Large X. If it was my $800 or so, I'd buy the X and never think twice about it.

To me, after the Monocle X people would be better off taking the leap to the Select series, (well out of both of our price ranges I know) rather than the XL, Bi-Focal or Tri-Focal. You will then clearly hear a difference and definitely get more your money's worth IMO. Instead of paying hundreds of dollars for incremental improvements.

Good luck with your decision.