shipping speakers

I was wondering how sensitive are speakers to shipping? Are they often broken in transit? Whats the best way to pack them?
samuellaudio
I ship many loudspeakers ,UPS FEDEX stay clear.Frieghts your best shot. I have had no loudspeakers damaged in shipment[30 pair]some giant I mean realy giant 19ft end to end, since going roadway.
You sometimes see tilt indicators on large parcels like major appliances or computer cabinets indicating that said item was tilted too far from vertical, and may have sustained damage from such treatment. I believe similar indicators are available that show if a package was dropped, and how hard. They go either inside the box or outside for all to see. Gives new meaning to the term 'slam'.
I have sent and received floorstanding speakers by air freight with no problems. On the other hand, I received speakers by UPS once that arrived with a broken binding post. Fortunately it was an easy fix.
I once shipped a pair of Vienna Acoustics speakers (factory boxes) 300 miles away. The shipper completely destroyed them. I filed claims on buyer's behalf and got the money back after 3 months later. That's the reason why I drove 600 miles to pick up my Wilson Sophias.
I agree with everyone above and would only add that for large, heavy speakers, forget the original shipping boxes, custom crates are a must. The cost to build them (materials, etc.) should be included in all calculations. I had a pair of Tannoy D-700's shipped to me that met with the UPS forklift and fortunately didn't suffer damage becuase they were packed so well in a custom made crate (thanks again tbadder). Pack with care, nobody cares about them like you.

Mike.