Shelf Material

I have tried so many different shelf materials, and some are better than others, but I feel like I am just spraying bullets that always miss the bulls-eye. So far, I cannot live with the brightness of glass, the ringing of marble or granite, the sluggishness of acrylic, the muddiness of mdf etc. Light and rigid seems better than heavy and dense - in that I can live with the downsides more easily. I use heavily constructed welded steel racks - spiked to the floor and upward spikes supporting the shelves - and I reckon this is right. I like the way bladder products get rid of the resonances that plague shelves, but find that the way they slow down the pace of the music is hard to accept. Does anyone have some answers on this?
redkiwi
Dekay I set X series amps directly on shelf no isolation. X series preamp I would put 4 #2 vibrapods directly under body, there is enough height to clear stock feet, I would try this also for X-A1 integrated. For X-ray CDP definitely go with 4 vibrapods, needs a fuller, richer sound IMO. With full size components I prefer partially inflated inner tube to vibrapods if you want a fuller, richer sound. For leaner more detail go with cone solution, for nuetral more detail go with Aurios MIB or Rollerblock.
Thanks Sam: I did not realize that the Pods would raise the X gear enough. I have a set here (right under my nose) and yes they work like a charm. I guess that the SS preamp section is then more succeptable to vibration than the SS power amp. I use wheelbarrow tubes under our two box mini system and the improvement is startling. It makes a cheap little system very listenable in the main bedroom. All that I have ever done to the mini system other than the tubes is to use Kimber 4VS cable and upgrade the speakers to Polk RT15's ($90.00 a pair on closeout). I will always keep it around (due to it's tape decks) to listen to old Disco tapes as well as Bio-feedback tapes that I use.
Thanks all for an interesting thread. There is a product for telescopes that might have an application here at a relatively simple level. Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads are designed to slip under tripod feet--picture a concave hockey puck composed of a center disk suspended in a ring of relatively mushy material, suspended in a ring of relatively hard material which rests on the ground. Typical applications place maybe five to thirty pounds on each pad. Not sure what the engineered upper weight limit is. They've been around for years and really do work to damp visually observable vibration in whatever sits on them. VSP's are sold in packs of three for about $44. After reading all this I'm considering putting my rack on them. I can't picture spikes in my wood floor. For a picture see www.celestron.com/access/tri.htm. One dealer is Anacortes Optical at www.buytelescopes.com.
Megasam, you are right that the range of footers have a wide range of effects on the sound, but if significant vibration is getting to them then all they do is move the problem around the spectrum. But as my quest continues and I am reducing audible resonance through rack/shelf strategy, it is noticeable that different footers begin to sound more and more similar. Footers are an important part in the equation, but to obtin high resolution through concentrating mainly on footers, is not the best way to go IMO. Kdmeyer - I will follow that one up, it sounds very interesting indeed.
Where do you purchase Corian? If it is readily available and stiff enough for a 24" stretch between supports I may want to try it for my second amp/preamp shelf. I do not mean to drive anyone crazier, but the best sound for my CD player so far has been Vibrapods resting on the "Persimmon" wood that my cabinet is made of.