Shawn Phillips Music at the 2022 Winter Olympics

Japanese Pairs Figure Skaters Skate to WOMAN by Shawn Phillips

Their program starts in 2:30. This is the same program used this week at the 2022 Winter Olympics - specifically the Team Event. Afterwards commentator/prior champion Johnny Weir declared that it was perfect music for the program.

Fans of Shawn know this song by the title listed on the record jacket: "She Was Waitin’ For Her Mother At The Station In Torino And You Know I Love You Baby But It’s Getting Too Heavy To Laugh" from the album: Second Contribution.

Oddly enough this song has a history of being used for figure skating...

Figure Skating programs Using Shawn Phillips’ Song

Here’s Shawn in an early recording of the song...

Shawn Phillips - Woman

More info on Shawn can be found at his website

Shawn Phillips - Home Page

bigquery

Holy cow - I've not heard a reference to Shawn Phillips since I was in college in the early 70's - he got played quite a bit on WCMF in Rochester, NY... Great stuff.... 

I heard him on CHOM out of Montreal during the same time period you mentioned.

Thanks for the reply.

For those not familiar with him here is the WIKI page ...

Shawn Phillips From Wikipedia

Here is another look at the skating program also used in the Olympics...

Riku Miura / Ryuichi Kihara - Skate America 2021 FS

Wow!!  My Sister and I have been listening to Shawn Phillips through out our lives.  It started at 13 years old, when our Mother brought his music home.  We are both in our mid 60's now. 

Collaboration, Contribution and Bright Light.  Wonderful albums and memories.

He is one of the best ever and never received any of the recognition he so deserves!!  His music, lyrics and voice will raise your awareness.

Still waiting for a video for this team at the Olympics to be posted. They also skated to this song at the Worlds. - Will post that if nothing better appears in the next few days.

Like the other replies in this discussion I’ve always considered Shawn to be WAY underrated as a singer/songwriter. Its great to see this support for him here.

Here is a video of one of Shawn's lesser known songs (Most Of Us Don't Understand At All) that I've always loved.

Shawn Phillips and fellow musicians gather for a concert in Texas