Shall I mod my Sony DVPS7700 or buy a DAC?

Hi All,

I have recently upgraded my amplifier and seen a dramtic improvement. Now I wonder if I should mod my dvd player (sony dvps 7700 used as cd player) or buy a separate DAC(like the Monarchy 18b DAC auctioned on this site) or even a cd player. I am budget buyer and want to know how to maximize my investment (<$1000). I would highly appreciate any suggestions. My system is composed of paradigm studio 60v2, creek audio 5350se integrated amp. Thanks!
dragonball
Maybe you should sell the 7700, and buy the Sony DVP-90000ES. It don't need no stinkin' DAC, just get very good cables and break that sucker in for a L O N G time. It withstands comparison to the best CD players with or without DAC's. I listen to a Forsell Air Transport through DCS upsampling frequently, and would trust the 9000ES to give me 97-101% of what that rig offers, at 10% of the cost.
Though many people have done the mods,with excellent results,beware you will void your warrantee and possibly the resale value on the piece.Personally, I have opted for a better DAC and cables.Though the 9000ES is a nice piece it is not in the same league as a 777es.
Satto, there have been a few threads where some of Audiogon's most experienced members carefully compared the 777ES and the 9000ES in a variety of high end listening tests. They concluded that both had strong and weak points when compared, and the 9000ES was the winner by a TKO. I know the 777 is built like a tank, but few people get the oportunity to compare two pieces extensively on the same system, and in this case the 9000 more than held its own.