Selling dispute. Please comment.

I recently sold a pair of mono amps and checked the box that indicated the original manual was included. I never use the manual for something like this and just assumed the manual was in the box as there were some various papers from the manufacturer in the boxes.

The buyer got the amps safely and they are in perfect condition as described. I shipped the same day the item sold. Unfortunately the manuals were not in the boxes the amps came in. These were the original boxes, but the manuals are not there according to the buyer.

I sent him the link to download the pdf of the manual. He is not happy with that. I offered to print a color double sided copy (on good stock) at Kinkos for $20 (at my expense) and ship that to him. He says that the original manual was promised and that I have to deliver that to him. And that he dervers two of them since the amps came in two separate boxes. He is threating to kill the deal and dispute with audiogon and paypal.

I admit that I'm in the wrong for mis-stating that the manuals were included. I will attempt to order the manuals from the manufacturer on Monday, but I don't know that the manufacturer will provide them even if I pay for them.

I'd appreciate comments regarding this problem. Thank you.
jaxwired

Showing 13 responses by polk432

I'll bet the buyer simply changed his mind. But, you should have checked first.
You didn't know that the manuals were missing? How do you know that they weren't in the box? Maybe they were. Keep us posted if you get the original manuals, and if the buyer still wants to back out. Good luck.
CAREFUL! If the unit was paid through Paypal using a CC the buyer can demand a chargeback. Not as described. I hate to hear about things happening like this, but I think the buyer simply changed his mind. Did he sign for the package? That may be the sellers way out, but even if it is, the seller should do all he can to make it right and get the original manuals into the buyers hands.
You need to make the buyer put in a claim first or return the item. Do NOT sign for it when it is delivered. Have the driver take it back to USPS, FED EX UPS or wherever and then go there and open it in front of them and a witness (and take pictures) to make sure there is no damage and that everything you sent him is in the box. I had someone strip parts off of a cassette deck once and I had a Sheriff come to my house and make out a police report but Paypal would not help me. I resold the deck after purchasing the missing parts and downloaded a manual for the new buyer. Unfortunately for the first buyer, I had his work # and with the help of a few friends, lots of quarters and pay phones, made his life a living hell untill they told me he was no longer employeed there after 3 weeks. I followed up on the calls every few weeks to make sure. I hope it doesn't come down to that but you have to be careful. You should call Paypal to ask how claims work so you'll know how to proceed. Just don't beleive that will go to bat for you in a dispute, the buyers Credit Card Co. makes the final decision. Best of luck.
Seller. Call your bank and let them know not to release any money to Paypal. Make the buyer put in a claim and make him wait 45 days to get a refund. In the meantime you'll get your amps back. Make sure to have the delivery man take them back to USPS Fed Ex or where ever they came from and open the boxes in front of witnesses and take pictures to make sure you received everything back and that there is no damage to the amps.
Jaxwired, drag the buyer through the mud. Make him put in a claim. I doubt Paypal will side up with you, but they have to take the time to hear your side before giving you a decision. Make some interest off of the schmucks money and do not pay it back until the last possible moment. You seem like you are at least trying to make things right. Good luck. BTW I sopke with Paupal and it will take about 30 days.
Put a pic of the item and let the buyer judge the condition and stick to the purchase.
Deep shit? ALL of us? Really? I sell things on here and ebay to get them out of my way. I don't give them away because I can afford to keep them if they don't sell. I treat buyers right but I would never be in deep shit without them. If fact most buyers are usually in deep shit financially due to over spending. Not all of us are in the same boat.
Check out my feedback on here and ebay. It isn't perfect for no reason. 5.0 on my seller dashboard also. I know how to treat buyers, but never let them walk all over me. Lots of buyers want everything and haven't got the means, so they will use any excuse to get their money back or something for free. I as a buyer do want original manuals if it's possible and original boxes because it does help to get items sold, especially Linn products. As far as me being a fair seller, my attitude is if you don't have the means butt out.
I'm glad everything worked out for the both of you. I wouldn't leave feedback either. I DO think that original boxes manuals and accessories are important though. I have all items for each unit in my system. It's nice to have a complete portfolio when possible. Thanks for the update and best of luck.