Seeking suggestions for 6922 tubes

Some years ago Kevin Deal had a good price on a stash of Telefunken gold pin 6922 tubes. At the time I needed a pair for my DAC, and they worked out very well. I'm still using them today. Now I find myself with a preamp that also uses a pair, and it seems the Telefunkens are not available at this time. 

I would appreciate suggestions of alternate brands that I might use for this purpose.

Thanks, John 

128x128roxy54

Showing 2 responses by jjss49

which dac are you using @roxy54

i have oodles of 6dj8/6922 collected from the 80’s onwards

happy to help

if you want the clear crisp clean open spotlit telefunken sound, i would suggest old stock hungary made tungsrams as most cost effective replacements (to my ear, they sound pretty much identical to tele’s), old stock siemens a frames are very close... then there more costly adzams, mazda and dutch amperexes which have a little more midrange warmth but same open sweet treble (i have posted more info on this subject over on audiocircle, same handle)

There are a few tubes that are recommended time after time in this thread. Some are afailable from sellers in remote countries. How much do we need to worry about fakes? thanks

see brent jessee’s page re 6dj8 fake telefunkens with chinese counterfeit silkscreening, informative... bottom line if you know these tubes, key indicators of their construction that identifies them, really convincing fakes won’t get by a cursory look by an experienced tube guy

what IS the worry is used tubes, with lots of hours, severe imbalance across the internal dual triodes, and noise/microphonics... let’s face it, these tubes are no longer made for 20-30-40 years now, folks test 'em, use em, pick the good quiet balanced ones and leave em in to make music, set aside the noisy crappy ones, so what remains available today are more of the poor ones that fail on one or more of the above attributes ... unless they are coming out of a reputable seller that tests on all these key parameters or from an old hand who has had gems stashed away for half a lifetime...