Seeking opinions about phono specific interconnects

To start with, I am not in the crowd that opposes using cables as tone controls, so let's let that subject lie dormant (I'm also not in the analytical purist crowd). What I'm interested in here is getting suggestions for a phono cable that might tame an Audio Technica AT-MONO3/LP cartridge without making the sound soft. I find that a Cardas Clear Cygnus phono cable is just too soft sounding. I'll add that I am exceptionally sensitive to higher frequencies due to having Hyperacusis. That sensitivity is the reason for the question.

I suppose that a possible alternative is a different cartridge. Might that be a better solution?

Ag insider logo xs@2xmwh777

Showing 2 responses by mwh777

@cleeds 

Phono stage is a Manley Chinook. The existing cart is a high output moving coil (1.2 mv). The recommended load is 400-47,000 ohms. I usually prefer the lowest setting to minimize brightness. A similar example is that for moving magnet carts I usually set the capacitance below the spec. amount, again to reduce brightness. Don't forget that I am very much more sensitive to brightness than nearly all other people.

@elliottbnewcombjr 

Your suggestion is a good consideration as a tool for learning purposes. I may just look into the idea.