Seeking advice from the SL1200 fan s

I'm going to do it. I'm really going to buy KAB's modded 1200 very soon. I've been reading all forums I can find on the subject. Most folks don't speak too highly of it. Would the Shure V15xMR be too much for this? I'm not set up for MC. I do require a wide groove (78) stylus as well. Should it be wall mounted or heavy floor stand? I have suspended floors (hardwood). If I get the fluid damper would this take care of the weakness in the arm I keep hearing about? Thanks for any input from the fan(s)! Brad
supertrain_196038ed

Showing 2 responses by jimbo3

Just to clarify for Brad, the platters on ANY direct drive are mechanically fastened directly to or are a part of the motor, hence the term "direct drive". In many cases, the platter is an integral part of the motor, forming either part of the stator or part of the rotor. In order for the platter to turn, the motor must contact the platter either indirectly (belt or wheel drive) or directly by being mechanically fastened or being an integral part of the motor (direct drive).

Also, ALL electric motors are electro-magnetically driven and ALL electric motors make noise. The trick is to minimize the noise as much as possible. Glass, acrylic or MDF dampen noise far more effectively than a thin piece of aluminum.

Regards
Jim
Zaikesman- We're getting a little off-topic here. My initial post was only to clarify a previous post by another member. But, to briefly answer your question on a platter being part of a stator, the outer part of the motor which is typically the stationary (stator) becomes the rotating part and what we typically think of as the part rotating on a shaft (rotor) is stationary. (Look at a typical ceiling fan motor- the outer "stator" part is rotating, not the shaft.) Sometimes this is called an "inside out" motor. Technically, the outer (rotating) part is no longer a stator, but is often called that. The "stator" coils can be placed directly underneath, and be part of, the platter.

At the very pinnacle of design and for certain applications, DD can be excellent, but at a very high cost. In the real world, DD is generally very inexpensive to produce while belt drive generally is more cost-effective for higher end audio use. Since I don't have $50,000 to get a top notch one of each, I can't really say which one is better at that level. At $500 to $3000, I can tell you with certaintee which I would prefer for a strictly audio application.

If somone would like to explore these topics further, please let's start another thread as we're already pretty far off topic on this one.

Regards
Jim