SEAS Thor Speaker / NCMS Rhythm 9500 Unlimited

I've read about these new speakers from SEAS designed by Dr.Joseph D'Appolito and have quite an interest in them. The most recent issue of Audio Express talks about them at length and they look to be a really nice design for those of us who like a well built transmission line speaker. If you haven't seen them yet got to http://www.madisound.com and go to "kits" and they're at the bottom.

My question is,"Has anyone heard these speakers or tried to build them yet?" I'm curious for some input if you have heard them. I don't like the fact that Madisound has opted to delete the base plinth that was part of the original design so I will most likely have to build the cabinets myself. The article has a mini review but I'm looking for more reactions to these speakers.

The other kit that I've been looking at is the North Creek Music Systems / Rhythm 9500 Unlimited. Again, if you have not seen it check out, http://www.northcreekmusic.com/NorthCreekKits.html
Costwise the NCMS Rhythm 9500 Unlimited is qiute a bit more expensive but comes from some great sound guru's. Any thoughts on these would be appreciated.

Thanks,
128x128bryhifi

Showing 8 responses by tweekerman

Yes i've heard very good about the Hiquphon's. Dave Ellis uses them in his kit Ellis 1801's with a Seas W17. Another experienced builder says the OW1's are his best pick. This Danish DIYer has a Skaaning + ATC + Scan-Speak, very nice speaker! the Hiq's are like $160/pr, they have 2 models OW1 OW2. Some folks like the Scan-Speak's others the Seas tweets. Why do you use budget speakers? But i have to say the Peerless 10 and 12 sub's is the best bang. Very nice looking units. Some folks dissagree that you cannot tell what it sounds like from the looks. Tell us if i'm right on about your Peerless 10's. But i'm going with no sub. I'm satisified with the 30 hz's of the W22. But i've got plans for the new W26's that will go to 20 hz! And the good thing about the Seas is their clean upper bass. This Danish guy says the Seas will do at least 90% of the Skaanings at way less than half the price! I need to order that intro book on xover networks.
Bryhifi your on the right track with the kits as well as the SEAS as choice..there are designers on the MAD web that can help you in finding a speaker built to your driver picks..thats the route i'm going SEAS W22 + SEAS W12CY + PHILIPS RT8P..good luck
Bryhifi i just read a thread on madisound about the Thors..they say its a disappearing speaker sound..and has great bass and beautiful mids..i have the Seas W22 woofers are they are of superior craftmanship. I would say this is possibly the "best" speaker going.
Trelja Thanks for this very perceptive comment. You are correct. The MTM Thor design does in fact take a nice size ss amp. Very load demanding. And in my opinion a good tube amp delivers more musicality than a good ss amp. The Thor has dual W17's, and these 7 inch woofers only down to like 40 hz. But your amp needs to push 4 woofers!! I think a single W22 will produce a nice solid 30hz and will be tube friendly. I'm not looking for alot of sound, superior sound is what i'm after. The Seas line of Excel woofers just got better! They are releasing their new W26 Excel!! She's georgeous! 20hz!!! - 1000K hz. Those of you who are about to buy a sub (REL's), you may want to hold off to consider the W26. Seas > Excel > new
Trelja, It just so happens that Linkwitz picks the Peerless XLS 12 as his best pick for sub. That big curl surround looks superior design. Which tweeter are you using? Linkwitz says the active xover gives your amp a big boost. My 40 watt tube is the entry level and offers plenty of power. If i want more power i can get the next level up. What's your thoughts?
What i'm trying to say is like you , i believe "less is best" in xovers. So active seems to me to disrupt the clean fq's of your tube amp? Yes you get a louder sound, but active to me implies that your placing the tube amp further from the speakers...??
Keith , Very nice post! Is it true the Thor MTM is best with ss amp? What db changes take place in the 2 W17's? Alot less sensitivity correct? Thus ss amps can supply bigger ohm load?
The big thing going on at Madisound for me at least is the 3 threads on midranges. Seems the Zellaton by Goerlich, Germany is voted "best" by one Greve, a DIYer who says he's got ATC's , Seas, Accuton's and a bunch other midranges on his work table. But seems to be a problem for me, the Zell's are 4 ohms, i've got a 8 ohm kit going. There's always a catch. The Eton's got big votes as well. But their sensitivity is low, like 85db. So i don't think that'll work with my Seas + Ribbon. BTW Seas has a new W26 beauty out in June. I'm trying to see if a 2 way may work, with a ribbon that goes to 1K hz and the W26 goes upto 1Khz. Will this be doable? Or give me your pick with this driver in a 2 or 3 way.