Schiit Freya+(Plus)

Freya+ users:

For me, sending DAC input through tube output clearly adds warmth, bloom, punch, musicality, presence.
However, when used with analog inputs (TT, FM, cassette), the tubes (current stock JJ 6SN7 supplied with the unit) sound too lush, rather over the top, sometimes frankly bloated. I mean at equal volume (not volume SETTING).

Despite balanced output to power amp, the SS buffer stage sounds inferior to pure passive mode. So it's tubes with
DAC, passive with analog, SS buffer with nothing.

Questions: (1) does my experience sound typical?
(2) should I experiment with rolling Tung-Sols or other recommended upgrade tube?
(3) does any of this bespeak some peculiarity elsewhere in the chain?

Advance thanks for diagnoses/suggestions.

hickamore

Showing 4 responses by 213runnin

I'm a Freya+(no need to add the word "Plus" after Freya+) owner, and I've had it for several months now.  I've tried it with 3 different amps and 5 different pairs of speakers, plus 3 different sets of speaker cables and some interconnect changes.

The Schiit piece sounds really good with all of it.  I can hear the weaknesses of different speakers and cables.  But what you get with the Freya+ is what's in the music, it doesn't add lushness or bass.  It is the most transparent, detailed resolving pre I've had.

So the new owner that is complaining of lushness, you never described the rest of your system, so no one can really help you beyond generalities.  The brand/model of amp and speakers would be a big help.  

Right now it could simply be your preferences that are giving you the false impression of lushness.  Perhaps your old pre(we have no idea how recent your Freya acquisition is) was so sterile that the Freya is lush by comparison.  Or your speakers are too warm, or your amp, giving the impression of lushness.

At this point, there are simply too many variables to help you more than just in generalities.

This goes for needlebrush as well.  Too bassy?  The Freya does not add bass.  Perhaps its just outperforming your previous pre to such an extent that the bass is now noticeable.  Perhaps the Freya has a hotter signal than your old pre.  Just too many variables to offer any help.  Buying another pre may be just throwing money away when the next pre also has higher voltage output than whatever your old pre was.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Freya+ only gets hot when in tube mode.  And the main source of heat at that point is the voltage regulators, to the left of the tubes in the case.  The hotness should take over an hour to develop, and it’s never been too hot to leave my hand on it.  It also doesn’t get as hot as it did at first.

At least I think that’s what they are, (stepping the volts up to 300?). I’m not the most technical person.  Anyway, it’s my best audio purchase in the last 5 years.  

Thanks for sharing your tube results, Thomas, I've been wavering on rolling tubes because I don't want to go down that rabbit hole, so to speak.  

I love the transparency and air of the Freya+, but have wondered about tube improvements.  Another reviewer on youtube mentioned Sylvania tubes being a great option for the Freya.  
I've been laying off the audio purchases, but am waiting for the Schiit Celebration 10 Year Anniversary sale.  At least I hope they'll do it, they had mentioned this several months ago, but that was before Covid and the current unrest.  

Their B stock page is empty, always a good sign.  But after that I'll be shopping for tubes.