Sad news - Jay sold his new Rockport Lyra speakers

Just released, after five months of mystery, new speakers that replaced the Wilson chronosonic $350 mil speakers, that were announced with all kinds of fanfare just a few weeks ago are on their way out.

So the $200,000 Rockport lyras, we learn in a dramatic and solemn 90 minute video, were not acceptable so they had to go.

Not everyone has a forum that allows disposal of speakers as does Jay. How incredibly difficult it must be for anyone to make such a serious investment and then be disappointed. And the rest of us who didn’t buy the speakers at a discount will somehow come to terms with a $50-$80,000 loss and that’s just downright depressing.

How does one buy speakers in the vast six digits range? And then how difficult it must be to admit to yourself, and then to your wife, that you’re unhappy. And then how does one muster the courage to go on and purchase another incredibly expensive speaker. Personally I found buying every audio component incredibly annoying and challenging yet you carry on hoping the prize at the end of the unpleasant journey Will be worth it.

Personally I think all the time about upgrading my speaker and then when I see things like this I’m at a loss as to what to do. These types of miserable experiences should be Hidden from public view as it impacts all of us. It’ll be a while before I get over this, maybe I should begin focussing on my thoughts to upgrade my pre-amplifier or replace tubes on my amplifier. Or maybe I should just learn to be satisfied with what I have.

emergingsoul

It’s abundantly clear that Jay didn’t take advantage of Crutchfield’s generous 60 day return policy to "demo" those speakers. Had he done so, he would have gone for something less pedestrian and would have Chosen Wisely

The rule of thumb I heard years ago:  If your music collection is worth more than your stereo then you are a music lover.  If your stereo is worth more than your music collection then you are an equipment junkie.  The extreme is owning a million dollar system and just a handful of records.  I’d be ok with that only I love music too.  I miss shopping for records in a record store.  I’d even be happy to shop for CDs.

One of my favorite memories is hearing Alan Parsons Project Tales of Mystery and Imagination in a record store in 1976.  I bought the 8 Track tape.  Yeah, I’ve come a long way.  I have a Mobile Fidelity Version on vinyl.  I said that only because I need the validation.  :)

@OP Sad news? I don't think you believe that for a minute. Interesting premise for a post though. :-).  

Seriously, all of us on this forum have been confronted with gut wrenching sadness in our lives at one time or another. Jay's speaker purchases don't even move the needle. 

Jay's business is to keep gear coming in for review which requires he cycles the old gear out. What would he have to say if he built the "perfect" system, and then stopped at Nirvana? Who is going to tune into his channel for that?

That's a lot of capital tied up in those speakers, I'm sure his wife is fine with the decision. Any losses on individual components are either illusory or a cost of doing business. If he's still in business, then he's doing something right. And that includes  pushing gear out the door.

Post removed 

How much someone spends on something is relative. It may seem like a lot to some and not so much to others. I think that everyone has made a purchase they have regretted. It’s just viewed differently depending on one’s perspective and disposable income. It’s ironic how some people aren’t satisfied with a multimillion-dollar yacht and end up buying several. One for each coast or continent, while others would be totally happy with a little aluminum boat and a trailer to go fishing with on the weekends, or others with owning their first pair of shoes or being able to afford their next meal of rice and beans. Who’s Jay anyways and why do you care? Not your $!