SACD repair?

I have a Marantz SA11S1. Wonderful deck, but starting to fail to play SACDs reliably. Plays rebooks without issue. 

It recently spent almost three months at my local repair shop (only one within a couple of hours that would even look at it) until they threw their hands up.

I know it's pretty old, but it still sounds great when it does work, so I'd like to get it repaired if that's still an option. So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a skilled shop that I can talk with about this. I realize I'm looking at packing and shipping, and the cost will likely get up there. But when it's working, It is a very high end component.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

wpcheadle

@wpcheadle 

You didn't specify the problem.

With the SA-11S1 it is usually the laser going bad and not reading TOC on sacd's. If that is so, the laser is the HOP1200. It is still in production, cheap, and easy to replace. There is no adjustment to do, just swap the laser mechanisms.

That said, these lasers tend to have a short life. Your player is old, like really old. So either you didn't play it much, or you have been lucky. Any technician who works on cd players can install a new laser in these players for the minimum shop charge as it doesn't take too long to do.

If you have a different problem, then that is something altogether different. As the above post mentions, critical parts for this older player are generally not available any more unless the needed part can be salvaged from another player.

@shari the problem is intermittent and symptoms are not always the same. But the root cause is surely that the SACD laser is failing.

I contacted Music Technology (thank you @czbbcl) and they're not interested in tackling the problem. They say the original laser is no longer available and the aftermarket ones are unreliable. I did buy one from ebay and my local shop was unable to make it work - he put it back the way it was, so I'm now left with a very good CD player.

Sorry to hear that they couldn't help you. Getting parts for a older machine can be an issue as you know.

Chuck

wpcheadle

Good to read that the CD laser is still operational. Thank You for the update.

Happy Listening!

Sorry but I got busy and hadn't checked here..............

Yes, the HOP1200 replacements have a horrible reputation. I once read that they should be ordered in batches of 5 in order to get a couple good ones. But I have no experience with them.

If you want to play your sacd's seems like you need a new player. I guess you have to decide that for yourself. The Marantz SACDN30 is now about the cheapest option. 

Otherwise you can rip your sacd's and buy a dsd capable dac.