SACD Players

Hello,

New member here. I am looking to add an SACD player in order to play the DSD layer of SACD directly. Based on my research I have shortlisted PS Audio Direct Stream Memory player and McIntosh MCT500.

Option 1) I currently own McIntosh MA5300 which means I can use MCT500 with supplied DIN cable connected to MA5300’s DA1

Option 2) Purchase PS Audio Direct Stream Memory player and DirectStream DAC MK1 (Both discontinued)

From what I understand the memory buffering and Air Lens would make the media sound better. Whereas, I haven’t found many reviews on MCT500.

Both options would roughly cost the same. I am looking for the better sound. Which option is better? Any advice or insights would help.

Thank you,

SA

rlsammie

I think if you are happy with your current MA5300 then it seems like auditioning the MCT500 makes the most sense. You didn't mention if you wanted new or used but there's a good chance a McIntosh dealer in your area can probably help get you set up with a unit to try out. 

As for upgrading your DA1 to DA2, I personally didn't notice much sound difference between them. The DA2 has some upgrades as far as features and functionality but the sound shouldn't change much if at all. So if you are happy with the DA1 just stick with that. 

Thank you for all the feedback, ideas and suggestions. I will stick with the McIntosh ecosystem and go with a preowned MCT500. It's the quickest and easiest was for me to extract raw DSD layer from SACD to my Amp. I plan on keeping my MA5300 and in the future even upgrading to another McIntosh integrated amp.