SACD or not

I have a question regarding SACD format. I am looking to replace my CD player and noticed some CD players have the ability to process SACD and some do not.  I have never heard this format and was wondering if I should consider this in my purchase. My purchase price is in the $1400 range
I know people will question why I am using CD at all. That is another discussion for another time. I still like some physical media in my listening experience. 
I look forward to your comments 
schmitty1

Showing 5 responses by mahler123

What kind of music do you listen to?  SACD has largely been kept alive by Classical Music.  I don’t listen to anything besides Classical but it’s my understanding that non classical SACD offerings are pretty limited 
It’s true that not every SACD sounds better than a Redbook layer on the same disc, there are some labels that are known for their consistency in quality with SACD.  Channel Classics and BIS are two labels that consistently produce outstanding SACD.  Although a bit quirkier, the German Label Tacet and the Norwegian Label 2L are also outstanding, and simultaneously release their products in Blu Ray Audio.  Pentatone is another label with an extensive SACD offerings.  Most of them are great but there is some variability, as their catalog is divided between recycled Quad recordings from the seventies and newer fare recorded in the last 20 years.  Not all of the old Quad retreads are recommendable—the Masur/Leipzig Gewandhaus Beethoven Symphony cycle, for example.  OTOH,  Pentatone Brahms cycle with Janowski/Pittsburgh is superb, with a great deal of Hall ambience and detailing without spotlighting.
Regarding the cost of SACDS, a few weeks ago I bought about $300 worth from Berkshire Record Outlet, at about $5 each, primarily Pentatone and Audite Labels.  Last night  I bought another large haul of Channel Classics from Presto Classical that we’re being sold for $8-$12/disc as sale.  Both of the companies charge a flat fee for shipping, and not per disc as Amazon does.
  In my two channel system I output the DSD layer of the SACD from my Oppo 105 transport over HDMI into my Bryston DAC3.  As some else has said in this thread it is the best digital replay I have ever heard.  I also have two HT systems in my home with midfi equipment and the multichannel experience is also something special, elevating the experience considerably.  The best recorded multichannel discs don’t try to have the same output from the surrounds, instead adding ambience and reverb to simulate the effect of sound echoing from the back walls in a real concert hall.
The best of these are remarkably effective.
I beg to differ, tomcy6.  See my previous post.  Many Classical SACDs now going for 5-12 bucks a pop
Tomcy, no ill  will intended, but reading back your posts it isn’t sufficiently clear to me that you are saying that Classical SACDs can be had at more reasonable rates non Classical.  Anyway , I think that we are in agreement there, now that I better understand you.
  I only own 2 non Classical SACDS, Kind of Blue and an earlier SACD incarnation of Sgt Pepper (I understand that the latest remastering of Sgt. Pepper is an improvement).  If those 2 discs are indicative of non Classical SACD, I would agree that they don’t have much to offer compared to Redbook