Run with 240volt here in Thailand or use Step down transformer?

That’s the question. I’m currently retired in Thailand. What are the thoughts on running 240/50hz as opposed to 110/60hz? I have know idea. I’m ready to build a new system here. 

128x128discopete

Showing 1 response by mgattmch

I have moved to Europe, from the USA, twice. Simply bought myself a 2 kW voltage converter/power stabilizer. Worked perfectly for me. Alternatively, just buy a 240V-120V transformer and use it with your power conditioner. See my previous post on this subject.

If your equipment has a switchable input and you can set it to 240V, that will work just fine. I have owned various pieces of QUAD and Revox equipment with 100, 120, 220 or 240V switchable inputs that worked just fine in the UK (240V), Europe (220V) and USA 120V.

Warning: A lot of Krell, Martin Logan, Mark Levinson etc. equipment have a voltage/frequency sensing chip on the power input board. If it detects the correct voltage but wrong frequency it will not work. I found out the hard way when I tried to run my Krell HTS on a 220V-120V transformer; 120V/50Hz instead of 120V/60Hz.