Rumors of CD Demise Exagerated? New Hegel

A few years ago ago Hegel issued “The Mohican”, proclaiming the name was chosen because CD was a dying format and that this would be the the last CDP that one would ever have to acquire. They have now issued a new player, of which I read the review in Hi Fi News.  I forgot what they actually named it, but the reviewer waggishly suggested they name it Lazarus, as the format may be arising from the dead.

If anyone has actually heard the player, I would be interested in their impressions.
  Other manufacturers such as Denon have also released “statement “ players recently.

Otherwise, does anyone think that this is a stay of execution for the format?  

mahler123

Showing 3 responses by mahler123

Without getting into the issue of sonics of streaming vs. CD vs. analog, it is interesting to speculate on why different people are attracted to different media. 
  Streaming of course is the clear winner with 85% of the revenue.  Now members here care about sound, but most of the public is more interested in ease of use, portability, etc.  Streaming gained most of its popularity when it generally wasn’t capable of good sound.  It’s only been the last  decade or so when great sounding products emerged as alternative to mp3.  Streaming loses a lot of the accoutrement of physical media, namely album covers and liner notes.

It’s been observed that most lp sales are to people who don’t have a worthy playback system (check out threads in the analog section).  People spend $40 on lps and play them—if they play them at all- on rigs that cost perhaps twice as much.  The relatively few serious analog users post in places like Agon but are the distinct minority of vocal consumers.  So why do (generally younger generations than the average member here) they buy?  Because of the accoutrements, the way a tone arm looks sinking into a black mass of vinyl, etc.  This generation came of age during the heyday of CD, and vinyl is like getting a classic 1950s automobile.

I was in my late 20s when CDs started their ascendancy and I thought they were pretty cool.  Having the disc spin, being read by a laser, the dynamic range, longer playing times, lack of surface noise instantly won me over.  The downside was the accoutrement-there was still album covers and liner notes, but they were shrunken in size, and it just wasn’t the same.  I would nostalgically hang out in used lp stores years before I purchased a turntable.

What about streaming and accoutrement?  Yeah, you can click a link and go to a site, but it’s not fun.  
  And this is why the younger, non audiophile generation has embraced lps, because they crave something that streaming isn’t giving them, and lps accoutrements are cooler than CD.

Eventually some may realize that the sound of lps on their limited playback systems sucks.  And they  look for better analog replay, but decent analog requires some expense and labor.  Decent CD replay, however, can be had relatively cheaply.

A lot of CD issues now stress the accoutrement-big boxes with cool repackaging and actual readable books, usually with lots of photos from concerts or studio shots.  People are buying them, if not in numbers like the heyday of CD, at least in enough quantity that the manufacturers realize there is still a market for CD replay 

One factor here is the Pandemic.  The notion is that people were stuck at home, rediscovered their music collection, and this stimulated a demand for better playback equipment.

Without doing actual market research, I guess the only way to assess this is by personal experience.  In my own little non virtual world I actually do know two couples that did upgrade their music systems, in both cases going from virtually nothing to mid Fi.

@pindac 

What about the savings environmentally by not having vinyl and polycarbonate discs manufactured and ultimately sitting in landfills?